Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Issues with data collection in eVars

Level 4

I recently created a new rule in Adobe Launch with new Data Element to retrieve data from eVars.

My data elements retrieve the required data. I was able to test their content directly in the console (see screenshot below).

dataElements.png

I was also able to check that my rule is well triggered thanks to the debug mode.

However, I don't receive any data in the concerned eVars...

You can find below the configuration of my rule.

Rule.pngBelow is the setup of the Set Variables action:

SetVariablesAction.png

Below is the Send Beacon action

SendBeaconAction.png

I already double checked that my eVar are enabled in the report suites I tested.

Do you have any suggestion to investigate this and troobleshoot this ?

Thanks a lot. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hello @VaniBhemarasetty@Pablo_Childe@Andrey_Osadchuk,

Thanks again for your advices here. I finally found a solution thanks to this post. In fact it was "just" a timing issue.

My rule was processing to soon and so my data elements weren't able to get the data when the rule was processed.

I just had to change the trigger from "Page Bottom" to "Window Loaded". It's now working. 

Thanks anyway for your help!

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 10

@Swanan_ , check the request (beacon) that is sent to AA in the Network tab, does it have the eVars set?

• If not, the Data Elements may return empty values at the time the rule fires.
  • If yes, the data is either does not come to the data collection server (a wrong server name, a wrong RSID) or the beacon is filtered off by one of the following:
    • IP filters
    • bot filters
    • processing rules
    • report suite privacy settings
    • vista rules
    • opt-out cookie (if s_vi is used instead of ECID)

Level 4

Hi @Andrey_Osadchuk 

Thanks for your help here. 

I just checked the points you mentioned. 

I have some doubts regarding the following points :

• IP filters
  • opt-out cookie (if s_vi is used instead of ECID).

In my tab Admin > All Admin > Exclude by IP

I'm seeing that there is a line in the Exclude By Cookie > Exclusion by computer

Info mentioned are the following:

Cname : metrics.MyCompany.com

Opt-Out Link : https://metrics.MyCompany.com/optout.html?locale=en_US&popup=true

Can this cause any issue there ?

Community Advisor

Also check on page in console tab.

See if you have and content policy script blocking, or warning that may be conflicting with the adobe code.

As Andrey mentioned you can go into Network tab on page.

Filter /b/ss/ to see network beacon.

Look at header parameters to see all props evars present or not present.

GLTU

Employee Advisor

Adding to previous replies make sure the evar is enabled, also check if they are enabled for "merchandising" or they are merchandising evars, if that is the case, they can be used only in product string, and if they are not used in product string , there are high chances they can get excluded from reporting and you will not see them in reporting , even if you see them in server calls

You can read about it here 

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/dimensions/evar-merchandising.html?lang...

Hope this helps

Level 4

Hi @VaniBhemarasetty , I check this point but it seems that there is no issue on this point. 

Thank you for your help !

Level 4

Hello @Pablo_Childe ,

Thanks for your advices. I checked and when I'm filtering on /b/ss/ in the network tab, I'm finding a beacon, but whenever I check the Headers or Paylod, Preview, etc... I can't find the list of parameters or evar / prop data.

On another site of mine, in the Network tab > Payload, I can see the queryStringParameters and there I have a list with all the eVar / Props that are receiving data.

But in the Network Tab > Headers, I can only see a Request Headers part & and a Response Hearders part. But in both case I don't have any list of eVar / Props in there.

Same thing for the Network Tab > Payload, I can only see Request Payload. Still without any eVar / Props info.

I also checked again the Consol and I saw this :

Console.png

My eVar are being added to the tracker. But I see that the beacon is being sent before my rule is being fired.

Even if in my actions settings I added a "set variables" action wait and then "send beacon" action. Is that a normal behavior ? After this there is no more page view beacon sent.

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hello @VaniBhemarasetty@Pablo_Childe@Andrey_Osadchuk,

Thanks again for your advices here. I finally found a solution thanks to this post. In fact it was "just" a timing issue.

My rule was processing to soon and so my data elements weren't able to get the data when the rule was processed.

I just had to change the trigger from "Page Bottom" to "Window Loaded". It's now working. 

Thanks anyway for your help!