Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

How to use match in segment builder

Level 2

Hi, I had the question that i couldn't find a answer to it. When I want to create a segmentation, I have to user the operator "match", just like, page match "*adobe.com*". But i don't know the exact usage of "match". 

I can only find the introduction of operater "match". -- https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/analytics/segment/seg_operators.html

Can anybody tell me how to user "match"? I need your help, and I'm glad to take your advise.

Anyway, thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Larry,

RegEx is not supported in segmentation operators (within Segment Builder) so you would need to build two separate statements to accomplish your *cn OR *en statement . However there are some advanced filtering capabilities in the search filter for reports which may meets your needs (this is different from the segment builder, and is a straight filter on the report).

Improved search filtering

In the eight spot, we’ve got what may seem like a minor change to the way you do reporting and analysis: we have improved the way that you filter report values. In the past, certain characters, such as the pipe (“|”) and the dash (“-“) were treated as special characters. In the case of these two, the pipe was treated as an “OR” in your search, and the dash was treated as a “NOT.” This could lead to some issues with your filter results if you used these characters in your variable values (for example, as a delimiter, as in “products|mens|shoes”).

These characters are now treated literally, and you are given a number of additional options to help you design the search that you want:

improved_search

In particular, note the introduction of “Starts With” and “Ends With” criteria, neither of which had been possible previously. And the introduction of “Advanced (Special Characters)” allows you to use the previous filter method if you’d like, or if you have filtering needs not satisfied by the new criteria and treatment of special characters.

A final note on this: If you have bookmarks and dashboards that include search filters, don’t worry; we’ve taken care to ensure that they won’t be impacted.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Employee

The way to put it would be that EQUALS and MATCHES are identical and do the same thing except MATCHES is intended for use when you also apply a (*) wildcard in your value. CONTAINS is different than MATCHES in that is that it will match on substring.

equals Returns items that match exactly for a numeric or string value. [Note: If using wildcard characters, use the "matches" operator.]

matches  Returns items that match exactly based on a given numeric or string value. [Note: Use this operator when using wildcard (globbing) features.]

contains  Returns items that compare to the substrings of the values entered. For example, if the rule for "Page" contains "Search", then it will match any page that has the substring "Search" in it, including "Search Results", "Search", and "Searching".

Best,

Brian

Level 2

Hi, Brian. 

Thanks for your reply. 

Can you tell me more about the uasge of "matches"?

Doesn't the "matches" support regular expression? It only can be used for wildcard(*), but can not be used for other expressions, like or(|), starts with(^), "()", "[]", and so on?  

For example, when I use "match" for building segmentation, I want a rule that "page" contains "en" or "cn", and set the rule "pages" match "*cn|en*". The result is that the rule does not work.

So I need a particular and detailed introduction to the operator "match". 

Best

Larry

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Larry,

RegEx is not supported in segmentation operators (within Segment Builder) so you would need to build two separate statements to accomplish your *cn OR *en statement . However there are some advanced filtering capabilities in the search filter for reports which may meets your needs (this is different from the segment builder, and is a straight filter on the report).

Improved search filtering

In the eight spot, we’ve got what may seem like a minor change to the way you do reporting and analysis: we have improved the way that you filter report values. In the past, certain characters, such as the pipe (“|”) and the dash (“-“) were treated as special characters. In the case of these two, the pipe was treated as an “OR” in your search, and the dash was treated as a “NOT.” This could lead to some issues with your filter results if you used these characters in your variable values (for example, as a delimiter, as in “products|mens|shoes”).

These characters are now treated literally, and you are given a number of additional options to help you design the search that you want:

improved_search

In particular, note the introduction of “Starts With” and “Ends With” criteria, neither of which had been possible previously. And the introduction of “Advanced (Special Characters)” allows you to use the previous filter method if you’d like, or if you have filtering needs not satisfied by the new criteria and treatment of special characters.

A final note on this: If you have bookmarks and dashboards that include search filters, don’t worry; we’ve taken care to ensure that they won’t be impacted.

Level 2

Hi Brian, 

Thank you. Your answer make the question definitely clear. The operator "match" just can be used for "*".

However, I can't understand that why RegEx is not be supported in segmentation operators. Of course, my example is just an example. I really need to user RegEx in segmentation. The RegEx is so powerfull, and other criteria(like “begin with", contains) can not replace of it. The segmentation is so powerfull too. So report filter can not satisfy.

best

Level 3

You could always use the classification rule builder to build segments via RegEx in a variable classification.  I think it goes back 6 months.  

Employee

Hi Larry,

I recommend upvoting if it exists already or posting your RegEx capability request to the Adobe Idea Exchange to bring to the attention of Product Management.

http://ideas.omniture.com/

Best,

Brian

Level 2

Thank you, Eric. 

You are right. As you said, the "classification rule builder" can work it out.

What does "it goes back 6 months" means?

Level 3

larry he wrote...

Thank you, Eric. 

You are right. As you said, the "classification rule builder" can work it out.

What does "it goes back 6 months" means?

The rule will classify your existing data for the prior 6 six months prior to your creation date and any new data going forward.  Anything prior to 6 months you would have to do a manual classification via the browser or FTP upload.