Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

How to read Multiple product page tags in Adobe?

Community Advisor
I have an evar configured on page load rule to capture where there are multiple product lines existing on web pages. I was wondering How to split this string in Adobe Analytics with classification rule builder? Or there is any other way out to read such comma-separated values in a meaningful manner in workspace?

jsvasu_2-1618957520296.png

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hello Vasu,

Yes! You need to either use Classification Rule Builder or a List Prop/Var to achieve your goal. 

Since you said that they were product lines, you should use List Prop/Var and not Classification.

To understand the difference between Classification and List Prop/Var, go through my blog which has examples.

Link: https://terrynwinter.com/adobe-analytics-list-vars-and-evars-with-classification/

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Community Advisor

Thanks, @Uditgupta1

List variables look more suitable for my use case where I have product tags. The documentation looks super helpful. But there is one question Is that "Max Values" exactly means a total of 250 characters of a string: "Microcontrollers,Timing" OR comma-separated 250 different values separately.

Also, "Expire After" is a little tricky too. I have tried to implement the list variable like below but this is not showing me any results in the workspace. 

jsvasu_0-1619043456231.png

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hello Vasu,

Yes! You need to either use Classification Rule Builder or a List Prop/Var to achieve your goal. 

Since you said that they were product lines, you should use List Prop/Var and not Classification.

To understand the difference between Classification and List Prop/Var, go through my blog which has examples.

Link: https://terrynwinter.com/adobe-analytics-list-vars-and-evars-with-classification/

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B

Community Advisor

Hey @PratheepArunRaj, Thank you for the response... 

I wanted to confirm one thing regarding "Expiration". As I read from the documentation maximum 250 values can be stored at one time per visitor. But For example, if a user is visiting different web pages which have multiple product tags on them, then I want all those product tags to persist and float in the analytics workspace which he has encountered in his journey. Is this is possible by setting "Expiration" to "Never".

jsvasu_0-1619018749661.png

And, I don't want the tags to appear in a single string in the workspace as per the below screenshot. They should appear as a separate value in each row.

jsvasu_1-1619019243571.png

Thanks,

Vasu

Community Advisor
Hello Vasu, For your use case, Expiration can be set to Never and Allocation should be full. If you use List Var, you wont see the line items in the single row rather it will be automatically delimited using the value delimiter you are giving while setting up the variable. Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B

Community Advisor
@PratheepArunRaj I could see this list variable coming as dimension in workspace. Do we need to do any Launch configuration also? How this List var will be evaluated in report/workspace?

Community Advisor
Dear Vasu, Yes, you need to set the variable at the pages like how you set the eVar or Prop. Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B

Community Advisor

@PratheepArunRaj@Uditgupta1I am not sure about the expire after and allocation. how they work? For now I set it to "Expire After: Never" and "Allocation: Full". And, this is showing nothing in custom conversion report for List variables to me. I want if a user has visited my site then I want to capture all the multiple product line tags which a user will encounter in his journey.

How should I map my data element in launch to this list variable?