Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Condition limit in segments

Level 2

Hi all,

I was wondering what is the limit to adding number of conditions to a segment. We have a bots exclusion segment that I update every week and keep adding conditions based on bot activity to exclude this traffic from our VRS. I want to know if there an upper limit to how many conditions can be built within a segment? Currently there are 30-40 conditions already and this segment will keep growing.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear nk271,

There are no such limits to the segment conditions but more conditions can degrade segment performance for sure. Based on my understanding and advice from Adobe Experts, segments can start choking once you hit around 50-100 rules (Refer, here) and kindly go through the best practice here.

Aside, if you have used 'ANY OF', then the line items do have limits and refer to the link here.

Suggestion would be straight forward, use CLASSIFICATIONS and group the same before you segment.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B | Xerago | Terryn Winter Analytics

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear nk271,

There are no such limits to the segment conditions but more conditions can degrade segment performance for sure. Based on my understanding and advice from Adobe Experts, segments can start choking once you hit around 50-100 rules (Refer, here) and kindly go through the best practice here.

Aside, if you have used 'ANY OF', then the line items do have limits and refer to the link here.

Suggestion would be straight forward, use CLASSIFICATIONS and group the same before you segment.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B | Xerago | Terryn Winter Analytics

Employee Advisor

@nk271 As @PratheepArunRaj mentioned, I'd recommend that you use Classifications to group all such values. And then the segment can be built on those classifications. Building segments with multiple conditions or operators like equals any of, contains any of, are often problematic in terms of processing and will eventually lead to some problems.

Though to answer your question - there isn't any specific hard limit.

Thanks!