Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Classification importer overwrites sub classifications

Level 2

Hello all,

My question is similar to Classification Importer Resulting in Incorrect Classification . However, the suggested fixes did not work for me.

I have implemented a sub classification. When uploading the classification file all Sub Site Sections seem to be overwritten with one of the Sub Section values.

In order to help you understand better, I'll show you what I did exactly:

1. Admin > Report suites > Edit Settings > Traffic Classifications > Select Classification Type: Channel

Added a sub classification layer

Channel >

• Site Section >
    • Sub Site Section >

2. I edited my classification file, e.g.:

KeySite SectionSite Section^Sub Site Section
shoeProductFootwear
gloveProductGloves
pantsProductClothing
bootsProductFootwear

3. When exporting the classification file the next day, the file looks e.g.:

KeySite Section

Site Section^Sub Site Section

shoeProductFootwear
gloveProductFootwear
pantsProductFootwear
bootsProductFootwear

Does anyone have an idea, why this is not working?

Also: Is this still relevant Limitations to subclassifications ?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

This is a common "gotcha" in AA. I fall for it too, and I've been using AA for a long time.

The reason is that "Sub Site Section" is a classification of "Site Section"not "Channel". So since "Site Section" has the same value in all rows, "Sub Site Section" has the same value in all rows too.

The solution is simple: Update your classifications like so:

Channel >

• Site Section
  • Sub Site Section

Notice that "Site Section" and "Sub Site Section" are at the same level. So they're both classifications of "Channel".

Now you can classify correctly, like so (take note of the last column's header):

KeySite SectionSub Site Section
shoeProductFootwear
gloveProductGloves
pantsProductClothing
bootsProductFootwear

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 2

What does the immediate export look like (i.e. the one you get if you select the option to get an export while you're doing the import via the browser)?

Is there any chance there's a Classification Rule Builder entry that's over-riding what you've done?

Level 2

Hi, thanks for taking the time!

When checking the "Automatically download Classifications file after the import is complete" box, the file looks like I edited it/ want it.

There only is a inactive Rule Builder. It should have no effect

Level 2
Any other ideas what can go wrong? The idea of assigning different Sub Site Sections to the same Site Section should work, shouldn't it?

Employee

@Adam19 ,

As per this document this look working as designed. 

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

This is a common "gotcha" in AA. I fall for it too, and I've been using AA for a long time.

The reason is that "Sub Site Section" is a classification of "Site Section"not "Channel". So since "Site Section" has the same value in all rows, "Sub Site Section" has the same value in all rows too.

The solution is simple: Update your classifications like so:

Channel >

• Site Section
  • Sub Site Section

Notice that "Site Section" and "Sub Site Section" are at the same level. So they're both classifications of "Channel".

Now you can classify correctly, like so (take note of the last column's header):

KeySite SectionSub Site Section
shoeProductFootwear
gloveProductGloves
pantsProductClothing
bootsProductFootwear

Level 2
You are my MVP!! Thank you so much. You would not believe how much time I spent on this. I think it should be stated more clearly in the official docs how to use Sub Classifications.