Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Average Time Spent on Site giving different values based on order of dimensions

Level 2

Looking at determining Average Time someone spends for a set of pages in a process - getting different values depending on the order of the breakdown:

For June 2021 (see image):

• By month by page gives me 18 seconds on page
  • By page by month gives me 21 seconds on page

Thoughts

Thx

SM_AP1_0-1631810018080.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear SM_AP1,

For sure it would be, because it is important to understand how the metric is calculated.

I have used the same metric along with the total seconds spent (Screen grab below):

PratheepArunRaj_0-1632158606457.png

If you see, the total seconds spent is same, but the Average Time Spent is different because the denominator is based on the dimensions. Checkout the link to understand the calculation in detail.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B | Xerago | Terryn Winter Analytics 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear SM_AP1,

For sure it would be, because it is important to understand how the metric is calculated.

I have used the same metric along with the total seconds spent (Screen grab below):

PratheepArunRaj_0-1632158606457.png

If you see, the total seconds spent is same, but the Average Time Spent is different because the denominator is based on the dimensions. Checkout the link to understand the calculation in detail.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B | Xerago | Terryn Winter Analytics 

Level 2

Just confirming my understanding

• By Month by Page has 2 sequences
  • By Page by Month has 1 sequence

Timestamp

Page name

Month

12:00:00

Home

Aug 2021

12:00:30