Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Adobe Debugger broken for 'post' methods

Level 6

The newest versions of app measurement code now can do post requests rather than the normal get requests

From app measurement 1.4.1 release notes: https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/sc/appmeasurement/release/c_release_notes_mjs.html

HTTP POST support.

Important: For an Analytics call to use the POST method instead of the GET method in AppMeasurement (a method of solving truncated URLs in IE), you must be using the latest Visitor ID Service implementation for Marketing Cloud.

however, when a POST is done the debugger will not show the request, omnibug won't show the request, observepoint plugin won't show the request. and even using firebug or chrome developer tools you have to take the post request information and run it through a url decoder like http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/dencoder/ and then try to find 'pagename' to find the page name etc.

is there any chance of getting a debugger that works with post requests or is there some override that can be coded to stop post requests from any browser other than IE where image request length is an issue.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Warren, thanks for your feedback. Yes, there is a bug open to improve the debugger; however it does not have a resolution date set yet. We are working with the necessary teams to determine who is appropriately suited for this task. In the meantime, I would recommend continuing to use other packet monitors for POST requests. My personal go-to is Chrome's developer tools.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Warren, thanks for your feedback. Yes, there is a bug open to improve the debugger; however it does not have a resolution date set yet. We are working with the necessary teams to determine who is appropriately suited for this task. In the meantime, I would recommend continuing to use other packet monitors for POST requests. My personal go-to is Chrome's developer tools.

Level 6

ok, it's been 3 months. any change in this. we have submitted 2 customer care tickets both of which explained it was our problem and we should use unsupported product plugins for browsers our users don't use. We need the adobe supplied tools to work correctly out of the box. At the very least you should update the documentation for the adobe debugger to explain the issue and how to solve the problem. https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/sc/implement/debugger.html

What I get is after page launches angry emails from marketers or developers saying that analytics is broken and they are not collecting data which causes me to have to drop everything and figure out what is wrong with their pages(s), systems(s), applications(s), site(s) etc and look at every page they might have deployed (sometimes hundreds of pages in the case of new sites) and verify each one is actually collecting analytics code because the 'post' of the data won't show up in the debugger and the debugger says there are no 'No Requests Found' in red. If at least it said 'Post requests found use a different method to view your requests' I could tell them that at least tells them there is an analytics request.

Without something like that the instructions to open the net panel from developer tools and to look for a specifically formatted request to our metrics server and to open that, find the post data, copy that into url decoder and decode the request, then copy that to a javascript beautifier application to format the data so it's readable and then to look for v22 or pagename to verify their data is more than I can get most casual users to accept. The answer from most of the larger projects is we will just use google analytics since it's a lot easier. And now I have groups going off using other analytics collection tools I can't control 

all because adobe can't make their debugger work correctly or give me a solution so I can force the data back to a GET rather than a POST without investing in an Adobe Engineering project of which I have no budget much less a time frame when engineering can fix engineering's problem.

Level 2

Another few months have passed and I just got a similar answer by Customer Care:

I am afraid we have currently no time frame for an update of the debugger. Any changes will be announced via https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/whatsnew/ .

We are on the same page as warrensander and think Adobe should update Digital Pulse Debugger to work with all type of requests.

Employee Advisor

I've confirmed in our backend tool that the Adobe debugger bookmarklet is no longer going to have additional features implemented. The way it currently operates is likely the way it will work for the foreseeable future.

As an alternative, you can try using debug.adobe.com.

Level 6

how does one change 'you are not allowed to use this application' to being able to use this application?

Level 2

when I go to debug.adobe.com  and sign in with my adobe ID I get an error "You are not allowed to use this application"

is that an error I need to remedy through a ticket or is there something else? Thx!

Level 4

Has anyone raised this on the Ideas Exchange >  Debugger is probably the most used and useful tool we have, but it has ZERO support from Adobe.

Level 2
Level 2

I know this issue is a bit old, but I just discovered DataSlayer, a Chrome Plugin that works in the Chrome Developer Tools console (It shows up as another option at the top, along with Console and Network...). It can parse out the pixel parameters for both POST and GET requests, and also shows cookie and data layer values.