Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.

s.linkTrackEvents value changing when s.tl() call happens

Level 2

Hi.  I have an event based rule set up in DTM that needs to append a serialization string to an event.  To do this, I have tried this via the DTM UI as well as with custom Javascript within the rule.  In both cases I run into the same problem.  Basically, the value in s.linkTrackEvents is overwritten with a copy of what is in s.events.  So, for example, the variables going into the s.tl() call are:

s.events='event99:12345';

s.linkTrackVars='events';

s.linkTrackEvents='event99';

When the s.tl() call happens (with the debugger running), s.linkTrackEvents shows as: s.linkTrackEvents='event99:12345';

This also happens if I use the DTM UI to set the event and place a serialization value.

When s.linkTrackEvents includes the serialization value on the event, the event does not get set in the tracking call.  I've debugged the code, and the variables are all set correctly going into the s.tl() call.

One other piece of info, we are using a a different s object (s_dtm).

Thanks for any help.

6 Replies

Level 8

I had the same problem a while ago.

Did you try declaring the s.linkTrackVars and the s.linkTrackEvents before declaring the s.events as it follows?

s.linkTrackVars='events';

s.linkTrackEvents='event99';

s.events='event99:12345';

Kind regards !

Cheers,

MArio

Level 2

Hi Mario, thanks for the feedback.

I did try changing the order, but nothing fixed the problem.

Kevin

Employee Advisor

This may be an obvious idea that you've already tried, but since you're using a non-standard s object, did you use it in your JS? like:

Level 2

Hi Eric, and thanks for the feedback.  I am using s_dtm as you point out in your post.  I referenced "s" in my original question to try to simplify the description of the problem.  It might be important to note that I am using s_dtm because we are in the process of migrating from a non-DTM implementation to a DTM implementation, and the original/manual instance of appMeasurment is using "s".  We will eventually remove this old instance, but it still handles a few of the tracking calls on some of the pages.  I haven't exprienced anything strange like this with any of the other variables I've been setting.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Employee Advisor

I figured you were already on top of that but had to double-check

Is it possible this is happening in doPlugins in some custom code? I just tested this on a site and had no issue using the event serialization in the DTM UI.

Employee

Hi kbridges@evolytics.com​,

If you could share the URL as DM to me, I can have a look and see what's causing the issue. You can also get a ticket opened with Adobe ClientCare through any of the Supported Users in your organization for analysis of this issue.