Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.

props for Pathing when Analysis Workspace allows "Flow" and "Next or previous Item" visualizations on eVars?

Level 7

Hi champs,

I have a general question about the prop's pathing abilities and whether props are actually still necessary in 2024 anymore.

So, in the past, I would set a prop over an eVar if I needed pathing and see whatever values had been set in a sequence and eVars did not support it.

Today, Analysis Workspace supports pathing on both Flow and Next or previous Item visualizations which makes me wonder, for what reason I am actually using props anymore (especially since I can set my evar to expire after the Hit). Ok, maybe for list support, but honestly, the 100 character limitation on prop values make them barely usable anyway.

Maybe I am missing something, but curious to hear your answers.

Björn 

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Hey @bjoern__koth,

You're exactly right.. the distinguishing factors between props and eVars is much less than it has ever been. The "enable pathing" on a prop no longer applies, since you're completely correct that the new flow diagrams will take any dimension, and even metrics.

Props still technically allow for enabling lists, but this is only helpful if you know the full list values are going to be under 100 characters. You still have your three dedicated List items (that can take unlimited values), and with some creative handling, you can turn these into as many lists as you want.

I still use props, but mostly because we have a lot of historical data collection there, and if I know the length won't exceed the character limit and I will only need Hit expiry, I will continue to use them... but if you need the extra characters, eVars can be used so easily. Since we use a lot of dimensions in our tracking, I basically use props where their limitations won't hurt me, so that I ensure I have available eVars when I do need their properties.. I mean, I have these 75 dimensions available to me, I might as well use them.

Level 7

HI @Jennifer_Dungan 

thanks for your thoughts and confirming! I fully agree, the 75 eVar limit (resp., 250 depending on the contract) is a valid point.

I think for a greenfield approach and for smaller scale websites, I would probably start ditching props altogether from now on.

By the way, do you know why Adobe still only supports 3 list eVars? I know there are potential hacks around this, yet I think it is still very limiting, given that this is also one differntiating feature to GA4.

Cheers
Björn

Community Advisor

I agree, if I was starting a small website implementation, I would probably stick to all eVars myself...

As for the three Lists... I assume that since most new features are going into CJA (where you can specify the data type: string, integer, float, array, etc), due to it being built on a completely new architecture, that it's a lot easier than trying to update Adobe Analytics to have additional lists.

As much as I would love to have new lists added to our options, I bet it's not a trivial change....