Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!
SOLVED

Workfront API Task Endpoint: Difference btwn dueDate & plannedCompletionDate

Level 6

Using the GET method for TASKS and want to retrieve the "Planned Completion Date" of a task shown here.

Mylah_0-1689996346029.png

I noticed there is both dueDate and plannedCompletion Date in the API Explorer.

I'm assuming plannedCompletionDate is the value I want to retrieve but what does dueDate bring back and what do those Flags mean in the Due Date entry? 

Mylah_1-1689996498610.png

vs.

Mylah_2-1689996547378.png

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Mylah,

one important difference that you can read from this is that 

dueDate has Read_only flag, which means you might not be able to update it. That can be a reason why you get this field as N/A.

For other differences I would check with support since WF documentation is not always explicit about certain details.

Best
R

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 6

******Edited to add*************

On a related note, I am also using the Task POST method to create new tasks, and I notice that when we pass a specific dueDate value to the API DueDate field, the task Planned Completion Date gets set to "N/A" and appears blank in any view. (you can see how it appears in Task Details from my screenshot above.)  This is actually ok from a user experience perspective, because any time an API call creates a new Task and if I don't pass any value for DueDate, the Planned Completion Date is set automatically to the Project Planned Completion (of 6/29/29), which is what we DON'T want. And so the due date I was passing is arbitrarily set to "Today+90D", which wasn't that accurate either. But I'd really like to understand better what's going on. Any insights into this behavior? 

Level 6

Finally, please also note that when I retrieve both dueDate and plannedCompletionDate I get the same value in the response ... matching the value the Task field Planned Completion Date.

My questions are now more motivated by curiosity than anything else, since the process is "working" enough, even if I don't completely understand it. Any insights into the differences (why the need for two separate fields?) and the observed behavior around posting Planned Completion Date would be of great help! Thanks.  

Mylah_0-1690066773556.png

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Mylah,

one important difference that you can read from this is that 

dueDate has Read_only flag, which means you might not be able to update it. That can be a reason why you get this field as N/A.

For other differences I would check with support since WF documentation is not always explicit about certain details.

Best
R