Expand my Community achievements bar.

Who's getting tagged and when?

Level 10

I have a lot of users who are confused about when they need to tag someone vs. when others will be automatically updated. Let's just assume that all "email me when..." preferences have been checked.

I'll admit, I don't always know when someone will get tagged. So, my recommendation is always to tag people just to be safe. Is there some sort of documentation explaining when you have to explicitly tag users in updates? Perhaps a feature request could be included, an icon or list showing:

"Users to be included in this update are..."

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

9 Replies

Level 10
I thought that everyone on the project team are considered to receive notifications. To know who the project team is, I go to the project, more, staffing, people. That is the list of everyone who MIGHT get the notification. Then, I think WorkFront looks at the settings of each person in that list to know whether they have opted in or out of that type of notification. For example, if I'm assigned to a task and someone makes a comment in the Update section, WorkFront will look at my settings to see if I opted into a Notification type of "Someone comments on one of my work items" to know whether I want to be notified or not. I thought that is how it worked. Am I close?

Level 10

Oh, I didn't actually answer your question, sorry about that.

The only time you would need to explicitly tag someone is when they aren't part of the project team.

If someone has that notification type turned off, it doesn't matter whether you tag them or not, they're not going to be notified.

:-)

Level 7

If we're talking strictly when someone enters text for a status update, for us, on Issues:

If you are one of the Assignees - you will get notifcation (you don't have to be the "owner").

If you are the "Primary Contact", you will get notified.

If you are part of a TEAM, and your team is assigned to an issue, you will receive the first notification that you are assigned to an issue, but you will NOT receive email notifications of any updates to the issue (unless you say Work on it, then you become assigned to it).

For tasks, the person(s) who is/are assigned to the task will get an update if it's not themselves entering the update.

Level 8
As part of our training, we tell people to tag everyone they want to see the update, this way there is no guessing.

Level 10
I agree with Narayan that - to avoid confusion - it would be best for Workfront to show a list of the people who will be notified. There are so many possible combinations of settings and functionality that it's hard for sysadmins to remember, let alone regular users. I also tell users to tag others if they want to make sure they get the notification.

Level 10
Hi Narayan, It depends on what notifications you have turned on for your system (and this is different from the "email me when" section). In our instance, text status updates do not send out notifications to anyone unless the person/a team is tagged. Also note, there are separate ones for when you are addressed directly, your team is tagged, or comments are made on a thread you are. We learned that the hard way. ;)

Level 10

I agree it would be very nice to be able to click a link and see the names of everyone who will receive the notification. Excellent idea!

Level 1

+1 on this idea. Asana has a feature similar to this and it shows a number of people who will be notified by the post. You can expand that number to see the acutal people who will get a notification.

Level 10

Hi all,

I am the product manager over notifications and emails in Workfront. I totally agree with all of the statememnts and complaints on this thread. This is one of the items on my list that I consider to get fixed in the future, just we don't have any timeline yet.

Agree with Adina's suggestion, better to tag everyone, since users don't know the system well enough to know who may or may not get email based on their user settings.

Anna