Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!

When I have multiple assignees on a task and one completes their piece it shows as complete. Is there a setting I am missing so each person is required to complete the task or is this not a feature?

Level 3

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

7 Replies

Level 10

Hi Kendra,

There's no implied "parts" to having multiple assignees, so if your objective is to ensure each person has a piece to complete, you could:

• use custom data (e.g. dates, checkboxes, etc.) on the task so users can mark their piece(s) as done; or
  • use an Approval (asking each person to confirm "I'm done / I accept"); or
  • split it out to multiple sub-tasks, with one Primary Assignee on each, for clarity (and the "opportunity" to then refine the time and/or precedence between each)

I'd be interested to hear on which option (if any, or another) you decide.

Regards,

Doug

Level 1

In addition to what Doug said, it's important for multiple assignees on one task to understand that they must click on "Done with my part".

Also, when you have multiple assignees, the system automatically picks one assignee to be the owner of the task. You can modify who the owner of the task is in the task details. When the owner of the task marks it complete, it will mark it complete for all assignees.

Level 10

Kelly,

Is there WF documentation somewhere confirming that "when the owner of the task marks it complete, it will mark it complete for all assignees."

Because if that is so, that's not cool. But it's also not behavior we've explicitly noticed. I'm sure someone would have complained by now since we do multiple assignees quite a bit and tasks would be vanishing off their dashboards before they see them in some cases.

Community Advisor

The 1st person you assign the task to will be the primary assignee/owner. When the owner marks the task as complete they should also have the "done with my part" option. Done with my part will not be available for the last person to mark the task done since their part is the only part left.

Level 10

Thanks Monique, that's how I thought it worked

I was a little worried I had missed some nuance that was going to bite me in the backside later (happens all too frequently). We really don't use the "owner" part of tasks as multi-assigned are considered completely shared with no one but the planner considered as "owning" the task.

Community Advisor

No problem Kevin. Happens to me often as well!

The owner comes into play if you pulled the "assigned to" column into a report it will only display the owner's name. For us once we learned that we updated all of task reports to pull the "assignments users" to get all the names but we're also a little more mindful on who we assign first in case there really is one person that should be holding everyone else accountable (we don't have traditional project managers)