Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

What's the correct format/method for porting fields from a project-level custom form over into a task-level form via calculated field?

Level 2

Hi Everyone! After hearing a great tip at Summit about porting project-level into tasks via calculated fields on a custom form to save clicks, I've been trying to create one with no luck. I was successful with the 'Project.<custom field>' format for the first field of the form, but for every other field I've tried I get a 'Custom Expression Invalid' error.

In my examples below, the original project form is on the right (so I could confirm labels) and one I'm trying to build is on the left. The 'Web Page Name' field worked fine with 'Project.Web Page Name', but as you can see in my second example, 'Project.Web Page Address_URL' doesn't.

I've trawled through all the documentation on Workfront One and here on the community board, but can't nail down what I'm doing wrong. I'm hoping a fresh pair of eyes can spot where I'm ham-handing this!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi - for calculated fields, you have to do the label not the tech name. So you will need Project.Web Page Address / URL

NOW... with that said, I think you might run into issues with the /. I think I saw someone post once that they couldn't get a calculated field to work with a / because it kept trying to divide. So, you might have to change that to like Web Page Address or URL, but try it out first as my brain is already in weekend mode. ;)

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi - for calculated fields, you have to do the label not the tech name. So you will need Project.Web Page Address / URL

NOW... with that said, I think you might run into issues with the /. I think I saw someone post once that they couldn't get a calculated field to work with a / because it kept trying to divide. So, you might have to change that to like Web Page Address or URL, but try it out first as my brain is already in weekend mode. ;)

Hope that helps.

Level 2

Thanks Anthony! I adjusted the names as needed to remove special characters and it worked perfectly! I swear the documentation I read said labels, but my brain must have already been in weekend mode too. Much, much appreciated!

Level 5

Is there a way to only have the completed fields from the request form appear in the task level (like it does on the project level details)? We have a couple of hundred fields in our project request form and I wouldn't want to muddle the task form with all the empty or N/A fields.

Level 2

Hey Janelle! That's a great point, and one that would be super useful for me as well now that I think about it... I'm guessing it could be done with an IF expression. Something along the lines of: IF(ISBLANK(Date of On Hold),"Not on Hold","Project.Hold Date"), or possibly the very intimidating (to me) EXISTS function, but I'll definitely have to test it!

Level 4

Hi Christina,

I actually had this issue and for custom fields with special characters, you want to add brackets. So for example:

Project Web Page Address_URL = Project.{Web Page Address_URL}

Thanks!