Expand my Community achievements bar.

We are piloting a new Agile Scrum Team in WF. I'd like to connect with anyone that is currently utilizing WF in this manner.

Level 3

We have Agile teams using Azure DevOps. We want to determine if we can meet out Agile Teams' need in WF, not necessarily recreate our DevOps process though.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

13 Replies

Level 3

I have been using the Agile Scrum Team in WF for several years. My email is in my profile if you would like to discuss further.

Level 3

Hey Chad -

We are just getting started with the WF part of this. We are trying to compare it to Azure Dev Ops. I am about a million questions already, but the two that are currently perplexing me are:

1. Is there a way to get WF to calculate the capacity for the Agile team? Each Team member has responsibilities outside of the Agile team that vary in time requirement from sprint to sprint. These usually revolve around assigned weeks for user support, PTO, etc.
  2. I understand that the hours entered on a story card are for calculating % complete and are not necessarily the hours actually spent on the task. However, is there a way to enter time for a time sheet on a story card?

Any other tips or tricks you have to offer would be welcome!

Thank you for reaching out.

Level 3

Hi Terri-

Is there a way to get WF to calculate the capacity for the Agile team? Each Team member has responsibilities outside of the Agile team that vary in time requirement from sprint to sprint. These usually revolve around assigned weeks for user support, PTO, etc..

• You can assign either points or hours to the tasks on the Agile board. The points can actually equate to hours, which will then show capacity. As long as the other responsibilities are in Workfront you can use the capacity planner. Also, if you record your PTO in Workfront this is also taken into account.. The Workload Balancer is a great update that helps a lot with capacity planning.

I understand that the hours entered on a story card are for calculating % complete and are not necessarily the hours actually spent on the task. However, is there a way to enter time for a time sheet on a story card?

• If you open the story card you can record actual time spent on a task under Updates>Log Time.

There are a few quirks with the Agile board and how items will display, depending on how you add sub-tasks to a story. If you add them on the story board the subtasks become their own card, if you add the subtasks when opening a story or under the Stories tab, they will display as an add on to the original story, which makes it difficult to move these subtasks independently and to move work from sprint to sprint.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification on the above.

Level 3

Hey Chad - If I am being too pesky just let me know!

If I add a task from the backlog to an iteration and then remove the task from the iteration, the task looses it's place in the backlog order. Is there a way around this?

Terri

Level 3

No - there is not a way around this, but you can easily reorder the backlog.

Level 3

Darn -

Ok - onward

How do we set the "parent" order

We are looking for way to let our Product owners prioritize Epics, Features and User stories - We have the user story order working, but we can not figure out how to accomplish this for a Feature (parent of a user story) or an Epic = project.

Some of our features have order #'s assigned to them, but I have no idea how they were assigned.

Terri

Level 3

The functionality of Epics and Features is not great. We actually just did away with Epics as the Workfront functionality did not support them in a good way. At one time we had User Stories as a subtask to an Epic and had to create filters so we knew what we were looking at when grooming our backlog.

We know create everything as a story and break it down once we we decide to bring something into a sprint.

Sorry - I am not much help with this one.

Level 3

Chad - you are more than help than you know. Thank you for all of your feedback.

Terri

Level 3

Hey Chad -

Is there a way to get the information show below to show for just an individual - in the case of this screen snip I have selected 1 individual. I Would like to see completed stories, hours and hours per day for those items she is assigned to. My guess is that this is not possible because multiple people could be assigned to a task making this information mis-leading, but I thought I'd check.

Thank you again for all of the help you've given us.

Terri

Level 3

Terri - You can filter and only see tasks assigned to specific individuals. if you are on the Story Board screen, look on the right side below the burndown chart for filter.

Level 3

Yes - but is there a way to get the information in the 3 boxes above the burn down chart to be individual specific - so how many stories are assigned to the person and how many are complete, how many days behind or ahead is the person - looking for a quick visual indication of if the individual is on track, ahead or behind.

Terri

Level 3

Terri - I do not know of a way to show progress on the Story Board. If you look at Workload Balancer there is an option to show how many hours are left of assigned work, but I am not sure that will work for you.