Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Users and the proofs they are assigned to

Level 2
Hello, I'm rather new to Workfront and ProofHQ. I was wondering if there is any way a normal proof user can look into the ProofHQ system and see all the proofs they are assigned to review? All I have found in the help area is that this is so and they can become satellite proofer/reviewer but they would need a license. Is that true? Thanks, Jim Parker
10 Replies

Level 10
I have this question too. Only the Planners (or System Admins, I'm unsure) have access to the checkmark to get into the tool itself where you can see things. How do normal workers view all their stuff without accessing them through the Workfront Task? Jill Ackerman Lindblad Expeditions

Level 1

0690z000007ZiOTAA0.pngHi! Thank you for your question. I was able to establish that they can (' normal proof users') see all the proofs they are assigned to review from the folder the proof is created in, directly from viewer (the flash one). Kind regards, Mateusz Małys UX Designer at Workfront

Level 10
I don't understand this answer. We don't have a choice what folder the proof is created in. If there are various proofs in different projects, will they always go to the same folder? How do you navigate to this folder? I'm rather new to Workfront and I haven't come across a folder structure yet. Thanks. Jill Ackerman Lindblad Expeditions

Level 10
To give a completely different answer: if you have Workfront with the Proof integration, then anyone who is assigned to review and approve a proof should be able to access all their proof approval requests in Workfront from either their My Work area (if they are a Work/Planner licensed user) or their My Updates area (if they are a Requestor/Reviewer licensed user). You can also create reports on a user-by-user or group basis which would show them these sorts of specifics and more. The Proof integration has varying levels of assigning a proof review out to a user, and I still have not been able to validate that the "Review" option in Automated Workflows allows for the above functionality, so I recommend using the "Review and Approve" option which I think currently works. Our team does not use Automated Workflows--we manually assign reviewers through Workfront's Document Approvals line and these requests always show up in the My Work/My Updates areas. Please let me know if you need to jump on a conference call to screenshare. I know the Proof integration with Workfront features are specifically very confusing, even to seasoned users (let alone new ones). -skye

Level 10
Hi Skye Thank you for this answer. Can you explain what this is: " Workfront's Document Approvals line " Is that simply the Basic approval structure where you type in someone's email address to share it with? Also, confirming that I don't have that folder. I am System Admin and in this case Reviewer & Approver for this video. No folder. Is there a setting to turn that on? I can't find it. Thanks!!! Jill Ackerman

Level 10
Hi Jill, I'm adding a screenshot below to make sure we're talking about the same area. It's the field with the red arrow next to it. Because my PMs have to do so much manual entry to determine which one of the 100 reviewers they need to have review the piece (and in what order), it's just easier to add the name in this field, and it will propagate to that reviewer's "My Updates" or "My Work" area. My usual recommendation is that the PM creates an update on the document updates tab covering a 3 point checklist: 1) reviewer is tagged in update 2) "Ask for approval" box is checked 3) update contains any additional instructions or deadlines, e.g. "please review for showstoppers by Friday 9th at 3PM" This has the effect of adding the reviewer to the Approvals line, sending them a message with all the details, adding the work to their to-do list, and providing a timestamp and historical data on the piece that shows when the PM sent the work and what was asked for. :) -skye

Level 10
Hi Skye Sooo appreciate your taking the time to help. One day I hope to be able to give back! This is one heck of a workaround but I see what you mean and it seems like really the only way I don't see a "check approval box" but my test the reviewer did get it as an approver -- I wonder if that's because it's her default role setting. (I've given everyone minimum Reviewer+Approver default) (Also -- today the Approve boxes are totally different, something changed since yesterday!) However, it's still not showing up on her My Work other than in "Recent Update" section which is very easy to miss. Perhaps the notification will be better. The integration of this is really disappointing. Approval requests really should be listed in the Approvals section of My Work, seems like a critical issue. Thanks for the advice -- new Best Practice to add to my growing list -- use @Updates for all approvals. Jill Ackerman

Level 5
Hi Jill, Just to add on, there are technically two approval systems working simultaneously. A Workfront approv a l and a ProofHQ approv e r. Skye described using the Workfront Approv a l system. This uses that Approval Area in document details, and the "Ask for approval" checkbox in the updates area (for any given document). The pros are, that it is easier to use. The con is, that the initial approval your user gives, sticks with that proof for the lifecycle of that proof. Our org. uses versions, and requires approvals for each document version, so we re unable to use that approval system. Instead we use the ProofHQ approver system, the one that is set up when you go to documents > add a new proof. The kicker is, that in the system, they are virtually identical, and frequently co-located. There are subtle differences, but It has taken extensive training to ensure that we are using the "correct" approval system for our organization. For example, "We use Approvers not Approvals" and in the my work > approvals area; any proof that appears with big colored button UI, should be rejected and re uploaded correctly. Though using the Workfront approval system as Skye described, it would be the opposite, and you would want approvals, not approvers, and the the Big colored button UI should be used. I agree that the Approval system can be tough, and I am also available for further questions. Thanks, Saher Almaita

Level 10
hi Jill Saher is correct, and below is a screenshot of where you would find the "ask for approval" checkbox. If you don't see this checkbox, you are in the wrong updates window and then your reviewer will not see this in a trackable manner (approval tabs) and no one will be able to keep track of it. As Saher also mentioned, once a file is approved or rejected, it stays that way for the duration--no matter how many versions you place on the file. This is not a big deal for us: we use it to keep track of how many reviewers we have had on it, and it is up to the PM who needs to review the next draft. For us, many reviewers will review and approve and expect not to see it again. For example, our creative director only reviews for visual look. If there are other drafts with changes to content she doesn't care to see it again. So her approval is recorded, and can remain unchanged. However, if visual look changes, it would be the PM's responsibility to immediately involve her in a re-review. It would be up to them, as soon as they review the next proof, to determine who needs to see it, and manage the reviews accordingly. Our review decisions are as follows: Approve means it's good to go. Changes means that there are changes that do not need to be reviewed again. And Reject means that the reviewer needs to see the next proof. So for us, it's fairly easy to go through the list of approvers and determine which reviewers need to see the next draft (everyone who hit the reject button), as well as -- keeping in mind the changes -- determining if any OTHER reviewer also needs to review again. Hopefully this all makes sense--I'm always available for a quick screenshare if you need one. -skye

Level 10
Thanks for this information. My screen looks completely different than this. There is no checkbox on the Updates tab or the Details tab, or a way to add in a person other than @tagging them. What you are looking at would be great, if I had it. I am going to call Workfront and find out what's going on. This is what mine looks like: Jill Ackerman