Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Status Update Feed Filter and Query Question

Level 10
For the attached entry in the update status feed - which report do I use to query it? I want to search for the words "changed the status to Transitioned". What is the filtered field name that I would use in the report? Thanks for your assistance. Benetta Perry APS
8 Replies

Level 10
Try creating a report using the Note object. Then filter your report using the Note - Audit Text field, using "contains" followed by your data string. Make sure to use other qualifiers to filter your report so you are not attempting to find every occurrence since the beginning of time. :) Admin Kelly-Wehrmann SSFCU

Level 9
While Kelly's approach SHOULD work in theory, in reality it doesn't. I remember speaking to the "experts" at LEAP several years ago, and they told me the only way to report on the contents of Update Feeds is through the API (i.e., via a custom app). So that's what we've done in our company--in our case, to track any changes to the Sponsor of a Project. I just tried another test report to see if the functionality has been added, but it hasn't yet. Looks like it's in the Idea Exchange, though: 115004132273-Report-on-the-update-feed. Feel free to upvote! ~Eric Eric Manning Language Line Translation Solutions

Level 10
Upvoted! Here's the link - "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115004132273-Report-on-the-update-feed"> https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115004132273-Report-on-the-update-feed Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT Program Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 10
the ability does not exist yet ..... Hello Benetta, Thank you for your comments made on the "Understanding System-Tracked Update Feed" Help article. In your comment, you mentioned you wanted to report on objects with the "In Progress" status. While you can report on the comments users make to the update stream, Workfront does not allow for reporting on the automatic system updates (like a change in status) that display in the update stream. I hope this clears up any confusion regarding this issue. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me. Thanks, again, for your feedback. Have a great day!! Karen -- KAREN GRANT Technical Writer Benetta Perry APS Workfront System Admin

Level 10
Thanks for sharing the info....it is interesting though that my Note report shows status changes and general edits. I rely on my Note report more than my Update tab for research, etc when trying to identify when some of my fields changed, etc. I have found the Note report to be more reliable than the Update tab. For example, I opened a ticket with Workfront where edits I know I made to specific items were not displaying in the Update tab for a few items, but were displaying on others for the same day, time, etc. In both instances, the edits were in my Notes Report. Workfront is still looking into this issue. To make it even more interesting, in doing some follow up work on my ticket a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that new screen shots that I took of the Update tab, for the same items that I had screenshots for when I opened the ticket, additional items were no longer displaying in that update tab. However, the Notes report still showed everything. So not sure why my Notes report seems to be working for me and is more reliable than the Update tab. There are other threads in the community where we were discussing similar things and it seems to be a little different for different users; not sure why. At the end of the day, this needs to be accurate and reliable reportable. At Leap last year, I talked to a few people in the Experience Zone about even providing and additional filter option on the Update Tab to filter to include System Updates, that exclude the Hours Entry records. This would make it quicker and easier on the eyes. That, plus having the ability to automatically expand in instances of "other updates" that occur. Here are screenshots from my report. I modified my filter in my Notes report to pull anything where the Audit Text field contains "Live". The report shows qualifying items that are custom fields and status field. Admin Kelly-Wehrmann SSFCU

Level 10
Hi Kelly, I have a theory on Notes vs Updates. I might be wrong. But I have a large coffee and some time. So I'll try to make it interesting. (Lower the lights, and imagine a campfire with a tom-tom thrumming softly in the background...) Back in the day, pre-Anaconda, when dinosaurs (like me) roamed the plains, AtTask's [sic] auditing model was primarily composed of four checkboxes at the template and project level. When all such boxes were checked off, it effectively told Workfront to record every change as a Note (e.g. "Doug changed the Status from NEW to CUR", "Doug changed Planned Start Date from Jan 8, 2005 to Jan 12, 2005", etc.). In the Beginning, this Was Good: for Workfront Customers with a need for full auditability (e.g. SOX compliance, Safety Requirements, Costly Schedule Changing, etc.) this behavior gave them the coverage and confidence they needed, in a reliable and reportable object they could access Рnamely, a Notes report. However, for those running the datacenter and watching this ever escalating volume of important but static audit information, I suspect it became a Bad Thing: lots of disk, lots of data, lots of trouble brewing on the evolutionary horizon. Enter the dawn of Anaconda, and Workfront's pivotal move to branch the auditability timeline with the New Security Model, which among other things introduced the JOURNAL object, which drives the Updates tab we're now familiar with. The premise of this New Way was that those who needed auditability could opt in via the Update From Feed dialog, picking and choosing ( only , as would also now be a Reasonable Limit) the most important fields to audit, and in turn, tracking that information in the Updates Tab. And after a few releases, removed the checkboxes from the user interface, and defaulted them to "off". Legend tells of a group of elders who Рat the time Рintended to observe the usage of the New Way, and then if warranted, to expose JOURNAL in the same way as NOTES for reporting. But that group has now moved on. And since that reporting option has not yet come to pass, I can only conclude that it has simply never become important enough for anyone to address (including me). Perhaps some of the more recent sightings of Updates "falling off" the Updates Tab will spark interest in this area again. Stepping back again to Pre-Anaconda...at the time, the four checkboxes were so valued that we created our Audit Level: Issues, Projects and Tasks solutions, which allowed users to filter (typically for all) objects and quickly turn on (typically all) the checkboxes to ensure that the desired auditability was always on. And although little remains of those solutions other than some cave drawings (translation: we've delisted them, and they are now only available privately), I have observed that for customers of a Certain Vintage who continue to use Projects that did have those checkboxes on, their Notes cornucopia floweth over; where, contrarily, those Projects created after that critical timeline event seem to lack such Note information. With all these stories in mind, the fact that You see what you do, but Others do not might be due to the Vintage of the Projects, and the presence or lack of that critical four checkbox strand of residual AtTask DNA. (drumming stops). Regards, Doug ------Original Message------ Thanks for sharing the info....it is interesting though that my Note report shows status changes and general edits.¬† I rely on my Note report more than my Update tab for research, etc when trying to identify when some of my fields changed, etc.¬† I have found the Note report to be more reliable than¬† the Update tab.¬† For example, I opened a ticket with Workfront where edits I know I made to specific items were not displaying in the Update tab for a few items, but were displaying on others for the same day, time, etc.¬† In both instances, the edits were in my Notes Report.¬† Workfront is still looking into this issue. To make it even more interesting, in doing some follow up work on my ticket a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that new screen shots that I took of the Update tab, for the same items that I had screenshots for when I opened the ticket, additional items were no longer displaying in that update tab.¬† However, the Notes report still showed everything.¬† So not sure why my Notes report seems to be working for me and is more reliable than the Update tab.¬† There are other threads in the community where we were discussing similar things and it seems to be a little different for different users; not sure why.¬† At the end of the day, this needs to be accurate and reliable reportable. At Leap last year, I talked to a few people in the Experience Zone about even providing and additional filter option on the Update Tab to filter to include System Updates, that exclude the Hours Entry records.¬† This would make it quicker and easier on the eyes.¬† That, plus having the ability to automatically expand in instances of "other updates" that occur. Here are screenshots from my report.¬† I modified my filter in my Notes report to pull anything where the Audit Text field contains "Live".¬† The report shows qualifying items that are custom fields and status field.¬† Admin Kelly-Wehrmann SSFCU

Level 10
Kelly, I will give this a test and see what data comes up - hopefully, it will work for me and solve a huge problem. Thanks for sharing. Benetta Perry APS

Level 10
Oh my goodness, Doug!!! Thanks for having a big cup of coffee and the campfire "Legend of the Notes".... this makes sense. I treasure my notes and so do all of our PMs, they are a standard tab within our projects. The ability to have this information is so critical I can't believe they are leaving us hanging. LOL! Thanks for the entertaining education, even though I think you may have inadvertently outed me as being one of the DINOSAURS too! Admin Kelly-Wehrmann SSFCU