Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

User Locked Out Of Documents Tab

Level 6
All, Here's a situation that came up yesterday that I can't seem to figure out. Maybe you might now what's going on: We have a user with requester/reviewer access in Workfront. They can only see the task that they are tied to instead of the entire project. The user was supposed to review a document proof tied to a task for me. However, he said he didn't have access to the document. I looked at the task and could see the document in the documents tab on the task. When I logged in as the user I wasn't even able to click on the documents tab. I removed and replaced the document to see if he could access it, and again, I wasn't able to click on the documents tab on that task as him. At least now it had "(1)" on the tab to signify the document was in there. I've sent documents with proofs to the user in the past and haven't had this problem until now. They have the right access level to documents. I don't know if there is an issue with the project, user, or both. Any thoughts on what this could be are appreciated. Thanks! Jared Mauch Crown Equipment Corporation
9 Replies

Level 10
Hi @Jared Mauch , That is very weird. Even if you changed up the layout template, you can only move the Document tab to the More tab. You can't outright hide it. Something you might want to check is the access level of the user. Maybe they have an access level that doesn't allow them to see documents. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 6
Anthony, I've checked the user's access. "Edit" is selected for documents access. I would assume that would allow them to also view documents (but I know what assuming can do). Like I said, this just came up. It hasn't always been like this for the user. I put in a ticket to support to see what they can also tell me. Thanks, Jared Mauch Crown Equipment Corporation

Level 1
Reviewer license and requester license are different, and hence access is different. That may be where your issue lies. In our instance of Workfront, the requester can see the documents in their request/issue that they have full contribute access to, but not on the projects or associated tasks. Reviewers can see the whole project (that's how we chose to setup), and all the tasks and documents. It is possible to restrict a reviewers access to a particular task, but don't know how that affects documents. Christine Barrera Federal National Mortgage Association (Fannie Mae)

Level 6
Christine, I've checked if the user is locked out of a documents tab for another task he is supposed to review and turns out that he can access that tab. I'm now pegging this as an issue with the project not the user. Now I'm off to see if there is a setting in the project that would restrict his access within tasks. Like I said, I hadn't had this issue sending things for the user to review before this project of mine. Thanks, Jared Mauch Crown Equipment Corporation

Level 6
All, I've checked the sharing settings for the task. The user has the ability to view the task. I would assume that would include viewing documents that the task has, but when I login as him nothing happens when I click on the documents tab. Heck, "add documents" is also selected for the user in that task. I'm running out of possible culprits. Jared Mauch Crown Equipment Corporation

Level 7
Hi Jared, I would recommend contacting our support team for further troubleshooting. As general troubleshooting though, here are a few recommendations I have: Ensure the user has view access to the task (you already did.) Ensure the user has view or higher access to the document . If the document is stored on the project, ensure the user has view access to the project. Also, adding to what was stated earlier, reviewers can view projects, requestors can't (I mean, they can but in an extremely limited fashion that's essentially useless to this scenario.) You may also want to hop into Preview (https://yourdomain.preview.workfront.com/) and test granting access to the various objects related to this issue.. the document, task, project, etc, starting out at view, and moving up a level (view->contribute>manage) until you can log in as the user and see the document as expected. Thanks! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 6
Dustin, Thanks for the suggestions. The user has view access to the document. In terms of view access to the project, he doesn't. He also doesn't have view access to the project that allows him to actually view a document tied to a task. I understand that requesters and reviewers have different access, but at our company we made a one access level called "Requester/Reviewer" (if that's wrong, that's a whole other issue and one that I had nothing to do with when we got Workfront). This user has that access level. I reached out to Workfront support yesterday. I haven't heard back since I granted access to them yesterday afternoon. As a workaround, I emailed the documents to the user. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. i'll just have to see what support says. Jared Mauch Crown Equipment Corporation

Level 10
What happens if you login as the user and the direct path to the task documents using activeTab? https://suntrustedo.my.workfront.com/task/view?ID=5c06b390001a0ff98550981235145 &activeTab=list-task-documents

Level 6
All, Workfront support found out yesterday that the task had somehow become corrupted. Support and I don't know how it would've become corrupt, nor has there been any sort of error message on that task since the issue started. Support is running a few more tests on it, but that seems to be the crux of the situation. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Jared Mauch Crown Equipment Corporation