Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dynamically adding instances of a field in a custom form

Level 1

I am researching whether multiple instances of a field in a custom form can be dynamically added? 

Example: 

Field 1:  Item Description (+) ------> Field 1 gets displayed on the form when the form is invoked.  

By clicking the + sign, is there a way to dynamically add

Field 2: Item Description, #2 (+)

By clicking the +, dynamically add 

Field 3: Item Description #3 (+), etc. 

Naturally, in the back end, Fields 1,2,3 would get stored separately in the DB. 

I appreciate any guidance from this community forum. 

2 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @EdwardMa3,

One approach would be to create custom checkbox parameters (e.g. "+ 2", "+ 3", etc.)  and use Display Logic  on each to then reveal the next section:

• upon form open, users would see Item Description (text) and the + 2 checkbox (unchecked)
  • when they check the latter, its display logic would reveal (on the next line) Item Description 2 and the + 3 checkbox (unchecked)
  • when they check the latter, Description 3 and the + 4, and so forth, until they reach your maximum (e.g. perhaps up to Description 9, and that's it)

If you use this approach, you might also consider creating a consolidated calculated parameter called Item Description FULL using the CONCAT function, which might then make reporting more pleasant and maintainable (subject to truncation at 2000 characters...your mileage may vary...).

Regards,

Doug

Thank you, Doug. 

I'll follow the steps that you've outlined in your response - Using field 'Display Logic' might give me what I am looking for. 

Thanks again, 

Edward M.