Expand my Community achievements bar.

Updates on an Issue

Level 10
Hi Can someone tell me what happens to an Update that is made by the Requester on an Issue if she didn't tag anybody in the Update? Who would get that notification that there was a new message on the request? The person assigned to the Request is what I would have thought, but he didn't get it. Thanks Jill Jill Ackerman
8 Replies

Level 2
I would like to hear the answer to this question as well. Thank you. Sharon Flynn University of Virginia Health System

Level 6
Hi Jill, you can check out your instance's default settings by checking under Setup > Email > Notifications > Event Notifications Then navigating to the Communication grouping. There is a set of notifications that can be turned on and off. Additionally, a user is able to change these settings on their profile (only for themselves) by accessing their "My Settings" page then navigating to the "Notifications" section. Justin Renteria SSFCU

Level 10
Hi I do understand about the settings, but they are not clear as to what they refer to. In fact, it is one of the least clear things about Workfront, the notifications are mysterious and never act the way I expect. Which setting will have the owner of an Issue get a notification if someone adds an update to the issue he owns? I think it may be "when someone comments on one of my work items" but that is not clear at all. What is "one of my work items?" This particular person is a resource manager on over 150 active projects so if he got every comment on every project he would never stop deleting emails that have nothing to do with him.

Level 6
I see your pain point. I believe Work Item may refer to the same set of objects that populate a Work Item report. Issues and tasks are included in this type of report. So if a requester made a comment on the issue then the assigned user should get an email. I tested this in my preview environment and I got an email. For clarity, I logged in as a user and submitted a request. I logged out as the user and assigned myself to the request that was submitted. I logged back in as the requester and left a comment on the request without tagging myself. I received an email almost instantly. I turned the "When someone comments on one of my work items" setting off and went through the steps above and did not get an email. Justin Renteria SSFCU

Level 7
Just to help…under Communication, "Request Note Add to Issue Primary Contact" triggers a notification "when a comment is posted on a request, email the issue primary contact." Per Workfront for this notification... The primary contact for an issue receives an email notification when a comment is posted on a request, unless the user who posted the comment is also the primary contact for the issue. Any users who are directly included on the comment also receive an email notification. A notification is sent only if the project status is Current. (Link to WF Help Article: >Event Notifications Descriptions and Default Statuses ) Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 2
Does the Requester have to have a plan license to be able to make the change in Setup > Email > Notifications > Event Notifications Then navigating to the Communication grouping? We have someone with a Work License and not sure if this can happen. Peggy Stanton College of IST PeggyStantonCollege of ISTpstanton@ist.psu.edu

Level 10
Hi - I just had this happen to me 5 minutes ago. A user updated her help desk request and didn't tag me. I did get the notification however because we have the "Someone comments on one of my work items" notification turned on in our instance (it is under Communication). And to be very specific, I got the in-app notification because I have all of my emails turned off except for when there is an announcement sent by Workfront. (I hate emails). So your user should have gotten at least an in-app notification if you guys have that setting activated in your system. Here is the Experience article: https://experience.workfront.com/s/article/Notifications-Communication-1509078277 Hope that helps. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 10
Absolutely nobody looks at the in-app notifications! This particular user is on literally every project and the notifications are overwhelming. I just glanced at mine – I am a resource manager on every project, but perform actual tasks on very few projects and there are 175 notifications and none of them are relevant to my job.