Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Update Users via Kickstarter

Level 4

We have about 1000 users in our instance and would like to now add an employee number to each via a "user" custom form. Before I jump over to the Sandbox export the custom form for the correct fields etc. Does anyone know of another or better way to do this or if this can even be done? I saw on the community from 3 years ago this could not be done but so much has changed since then I'm hoping it can be done now.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Kick-start only adds new records (when it works), it does not update existing records. Kick-start is like a Post API call where you add a new record or child-record. What you need a is a Put API call to modify an existing record. This could be done by a developer who is familiar with Workfront's REST API. There really isn't a way to do this directly in Workfront.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 10

Hi Dawnmarie,

You could use our Excel Updater solution to update the specific User info.

Regards,

Doug

Thank you, Doug. Unfortunately, I won't be able to incur additional costs to process this request. I may have to ask users to update it themselves or find a volunteer to enter them manually.

Thank you again for your speedy reply. =D

Correct answer by
Level 10

Kick-start only adds new records (when it works), it does not update existing records. Kick-start is like a Post API call where you add a new record or child-record. What you need a is a Put API call to modify an existing record. This could be done by a developer who is familiar with Workfront's REST API. There really isn't a way to do this directly in Workfront.

Level 9

Hey Dawnmarie. I had to backfill a number of projects with a new custom field. Since these projects existed already, I couldn't use a kickstart.

I did find a workaround however, although crude. I created a report and filtered on project # equals xyz or project # equals xyz. I then switched over to text mode and copied the code.

I pasted into excel and used =CONCATENATE to join the first line and project # (user ID in your case). Each new record was a new line. I added an equal number of second lines beneath these records. Then I added a number order to each area. (so each section had lines labeled 1-25). When I chose to sort by that number, it puts them in number order.

OR:1:referenceNumber=408000

OR:1:referenceNumber_Mod=eq

OR:100:referenceNumber=408000

OR:100:referenceNumber_Mod=eq

OR:101:referenceNumber=194500

OR:101:referenceNumber_Mod=eq

OR:102:referenceNumber=402060

OR:102:referenceNumber_Mod=eq

OR:103:referenceNumber=386340

OR:103:referenceNumber_Mod=eq

OR:104:referenceNumber=406653

OR:104:referenceNumber_Mod=eq

OR:105:referenceNumber=388770

OR:105:referenceNumber_Mod=eq

OR:106:referenceNumber=294948

Once those are all segmented in a report, you can mass edit as needed.