Expand my Community achievements bar.

Typeahead field shows as an object rather than a field in the report builder

Level 3
Hey there WFCOM! Currently, any typeahead field that is added to a custom form for a specific type of object, such as an issue form, the field shows up in the report builder as a separate object rather than a field under the associated object (again, such as an issue object). For example: We created several typeahead fields on an issue/request form. Then we created an issue report and found all of the typeahead fields as separate objects with fields associated with them (name, ID). This makes it a poor user experience to have to sort through all the different types of objects. It's also inconsistent with the overall structure of the report builder and it clutters the referenceable objects. We would like to see the typeahead fields as fields nested under the original object instead of as a separate object. If YOU TOO would like this, then please upvote the idea here: https://experience.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000XhsBAAS/detail Dan Perkins
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

10 Replies

Level 10
Something to think about (which is probably why it is setup this way), they are going to expand the functionality of typeahead fields. So instead of just getting Name, you will be able to get all the user metadata tied to it. Eventually this means I could do a report for an executive with all requests where the Account Lead is their direct report. That does mean the type ahead field is more of an object than just a one-value field. Right now it doesn't bother me because we only have about 6 fields and they are all just Account Lead, Creative Lead, Project Lead, etc. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 2

So does anyone have any current workarounds for getting data from a cross referenced object into a report, maybe through custom Text? (e.g., Project "Hiring Manager" name showing in each task line in a Task in Task Report?)

Level 7

Hi Dan and Sophie,

We realized this issue a few months ago and use the following as a workaround.

1 - When we create the typeahead field we add <ta> to the end of the field name.

2 - We create a corresponding calculated field.

For example, Manager <ta> = the typeahead field

Manager <tac> = the calculated field - calculation = Manager<ta>:name

Using this method pulls the calculated field, Manager <tac>, into the object table where it is used and eliminates the need for users to search for the typeahead on multiple objects or as individual tables in the reporting module.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best -

Teale

Level 2

Hi Teale

Have you been able to pull any other custom fields from your type ahead field other than name & ID. I am looking to pull custom form data from Company and use the type ahead field on an issue.

Level 7

Hi Michael,

Can you give me a little more context here? I am able to create a typeahead field using Company and a calculated field that then captures the input the user selects and place it on an Issue form. Is the Company data that you want to pull something other than the Company name?

Level 2

Hi Teale,

Thanks for your reply, yes the information I am trying to get is other fields on a custom form, for example we have an Account Code that we store against the Company. I would like to load this in an issue report or in a custom field on the issue.

All I can seem to populate is the name or ID. Just seeing if anyone has been able to pull custom form data through a typeahead field.

Level 7

Hi Michael,

No, I can not use a typeahead field to capture inputs from a custom field. I would use a calculated field. Not sure if you've already tried that or not.

Level 2

Hi Teale,

Sorry maybe I didn't explain it well enough. I am trying to use a typeahead field for company name to input the company against the issue. Then on a issue report display the company account code which is a custom form field on company.

I can't find a way to do this, if you could explain if this can be done with a calculated field please ?

Level 7

Hi Michael -

No, I haven't been able to do that. It sounds very much like some of the new functionality that I'd expect to see with the implementation of conditional visibility of information from one field to another.

If you don't have very many companies in your instance, you may want to create a drop-down with the company account code as the associated values and then pull that into the report.

Wish I could help more,

Teale

Level 2

Hi Teale,

Thanks for your reply, I have since established that I can get to the URL field and fixed cost and revenue so I am doing some thing with those for now.

Regards

Michael