Your achievements

Level 1

0% to

Level 2

Tip /
Sign in

Sign in to Community

to gain points, level up, and earn exciting badges like the new
Bedrock Mission!

Learn more

View all

Sign in to view all badges

Is it possible to search the url text of a hyperlink in a note?

Avatar

Level 4

We have a system update coming for our SalesForce database that is, apparently, going to change all of the urls within the site. We sometimes reference these urls in notes/updates in Workfront, and while I have created a simple report to find all of the straight urls we have added, it will not find those that may have been added to existing text. Is there a way to do that?

Thank you,

Shawn

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Avatar

Level 10

Hi Shawn,

Let's go Bare Metal API on this one, just for fun. Log into Workfront (as SysAdmin), and then in the url of your browser, paste and run each of these, separately:

  • https://[yourdomain].my.workfront.com/attask/api-internal/note/search?noteText=[a_small_portion_of_your_old_url]&noteText_Mod=cicontains
  • https://[yourdomain].my.workfront.com/attask/api-internal/note/search?auditText=[a_small_portion_of_your_old_url]&auditText_Mod=cicontains&fields=auditText

What you'll get back from each (assuming your Notes were "on" in [yourdomain]) will be a match of any human entered (noteText) or system entered (auditText) that matches [a_small_portion_of_your_old_url]

Regards,

Doug

Avatar

Level 4

Very cool, Doug. I was thinking that it might not be a possibility.

So noteText should include any instances where the url was directly entered as text in a note, and auditText would include instances where a url was added as a link to existing text? It partially worked for noteText, but did not, for auditText. The simple report I previously put together shows 160 notes with the url portion in it. The noteText gives me 99 results, including multiple notes from the common projects (just checking to see if it only offered one per project). The auditText gives me no results, but should give me at least one because I put in a test note to check results. Any additional thoughts? Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Shawn

Avatar

Level 10

Yep, that tracks, Shawn.

Since the URLs in question are being typed in by users, they'd go into the noteText. If your Notes were "on", in the auditText (in addition to the usual "Status changed from..." etc.) I'd expect to see some entries that rhyme with "Doug changed 'old' to 'new'" if, for example, a Project Description or Custom Parameter that contained "old" was then retyped as "new"...so I'd guess it is "off".

Since your simple Notes report is returning more rows (interesting...), presuming it includes the API trick, it sounds like your simple Notes report the better approach.

Regards,

Doug

Avatar

Level 4

I'm thinking that the API trick is limited to 99 entries. I removed the called text in the auditText version and it only offered me 99 entries, as well. Interestingly, when I copy the ID from those auditText results and search for it using the standard search function, it finds nothing. It does, however, find the IDs from the noteText results.