Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Tracking progress of completion of hundreds/thousands of assets

Level 4

Hello,

I've got this dilemma... There is a project plan created for managing the process itself for processing hundreds/thousands of assets from Step 1 to Step N. After those steps are complete, we need to have a reporting mechanism to inform the team that X number of assets have been processed and completed. Have you had a similar case in your company? Please share your approach.

For example, there are 1000 widgets. For widget 1-100, we execute Step 1 thru Step N and complete the processing (creating, updating, uploading, approving, deleting, etc.) of those 100 widgets. Then, we need to track that 100 out of 1000 widgets have been completed, e.g. 10%. A report on a dashboard need to display that 10%. The challenge here is...instead of using an excel file with 1000 lines, how can we do this tracking in Workfront? Of course, we can layout the process from Step 1 thru Step N in Workfront as a series of tasks. However, it doesn't make sense to do it 1000 times.

Any idea on how to approach this asset completion tracking challenge? Thank you.

Best,

+Pavlin

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 10

interesting one Pavlin,

If it suits your requirements, I’d suggest several components:

1. Project Level custom parameter for Total Units (eg 1000)
  2. Task Level custom parameter on Parent “Batch” task for Batch Units (default zero)
  3. Set Batch Units = 100 (for the first batch), then complete Step 1 Task through Step N Task with actual completion dates as work progresses, eventually finishing all steps “under” the parent Batch task
  4. Create another Task Level custom parameter on Batch task for Batch % with calc of IF(ISBLANK(Actual Completion Date),0,Batch Units / Project.Total Units (eg 100/1000 = 10%)
  5. For the next batch, copy Step 1 Task through Step N Task (or even better, Insert From Template, same idea), set the next Batch Units (eg 700), and adjust the planned start date of this second batch’s Step 1 Task (eg next Monday)
  6. Create a Task report filtered for Batch tasks and grouped by Project that sums Batch % (eg 10% still, at this point)
  7. Complete the second Batch tasks Step 1 through Step N tasks, thereby driving its Batch % (eg 700/1000 = 70%)
  8. Run the Task report and note the new total at the Project Level (eg 10% + 70% = 80%)
  9. Repeat until Total Units are achieved (or lowered)

This approach allows appropriate granularity to track each Batch independently and accurately, ensures the Batch Units are only “counted” once all child Step 1-N tasks are complete, thereby presenting accurate Batch % at both the Project and Task levels, minimizes the repetition of the Step 1-N tasks per project, but still allows for extra steps / issues, Batch Unit adjustments, etc.

And (personal preference) it also lends itself to charting and/or fancier logic to illustrate work in progress, or % complete of Batch math (eg 100 units all done step 4 of 5 could be counted as 100*80% complete = “80 units”...in theory).

Thanks for the puzzle: keep me posted on what you end up getting going!

Regards,

Doug

Level 4

Hi Doug, Thank you for the idea. I can definitely use it in my case. Ultimately, my real scenario is much more complicated but your solution can be used as a foundation of calculating sub-total and total amount(s) as we move along through the project. Thank you.

Level 10

My pleasure Pavlin,

Second only to "your solution is exactly what we need", hearing someone can use my idea without anything further from me is my favorite response. 😉

Regards,

Doug