Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

To EXIST or to NOTEXISTs

Level 10

I started seeing threads pop up about using "EXISTS" and "NOTEXISTS" in filters and was surprised to see that the capability, for lack of a better term, existed. The occasional question came along over the years about this sort of reporting, to which I replied "Not that I'm aware of". Apparently, I was unaware and I'm probably not the only one.

Searching for documentation in the help site yielded no results, and I found it difficult to interpret the various examples, even though they worked wonderfully! I accepted the challenge and thought, what a great opportunity to figure this thing out and share the outcome.

Have a look at the "How To" procedure and let me know what you think of the approach. Also, please have a look at a few of the "Example Text Mode" entries so far.

Narayan

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

11 Replies

Level 2

Hi Narayan,

The document you put together is a gem!

I did look through our Knowledge Base and was able to find an article on that topic. I thought you'd want to know:)

Create Complex Text-Mode Filters Using EXISTS Statements

Best,

Naira

Level 1

Hi Naira, can you please share that document. It seems the link is not working for me at the moment. 

Level 2
Fantastic - Thanks for sharing. Dave Koch

Level 10
Naira, thank you for pointing this out. I couldn't find it! I'll reference this in my article.

Level 2

You're most welcome, Narayan. I'm happy it's useful.

Level 7
You learn something new every day and the way you described this was perfect. Thank you so much! John O'Sullivan GAF

Level 7
I just wanted to point out that @Narayan Raum wasn't off his game, we literally posted that article just after he had searched for it. Big shout out to our documentation team for setting it up! Thanks for pointing everyone in the right direction Naira! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Community Advisor

Wow, double dose of new documentation from Narayan and the Workfront team. Is it my birthday AND Christmas?!

Melinda originally got me using some EXISTS filters and they are supremely useful. I just want to point out, because it's not explicitly stated in the documentation here, that they won't work as intended when applied to a custom layout dashboard.

For example, if you have a custom dashboard that appears on a user's Portfolio view, results are automatically filtered to only the records belonging to the portfolio. But if the dashboard contains reports that leverage EXISTS filters, the results displayed in those reports will not be limited to the current portfolio being viewed - it will pull in all objects to which the user has access that meet the EXISTS criteria.

I would love to be wrong about this, so if any of the Workfront elders out there can correct me, please do!

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Level 5

@Kruse Collins‚ It's showing that Narayan is inactive, I'm hoping you might be able to help.

The two links that were provided in his original post aren't working, for me at least. Do you know if I can still access them somehow?

Thanks!

Level 1

Hi Cathy, were you able to get the links to the two documents?