Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!
SOLVED

Text mode for column in project report to display non-Primary assignment on specific templateTask?

Level 4

Hi all, looking for help writing the text mode for a column on a project report that displays the non-primary assignment on a templateTask within our project templates. If it's not possible to display just the non-primary assignment, I would also be okay with displaying both assignments (but I can only figure out how show the primary right now). I feel like there's something like assignmentUsersMM...but I can't figure out how to use it in this scenario.

Previously, on a task report where the report itself was filtered down to the specific templateTask name, here's what I've used:

displayname=Non-primary assignments
listdelimiter=<p>
listmethod=nested(assignments).lists
textmode=true
type=iterate
valueexpression=IF({isPrimary}=false,CONCAT({assignedTo}.{name}))
valueformat=HTML

How can I translate this into a collection/valueexpression column on a project report?

Note, I need this to be on a project report specifically so that the viewers can edit project-level custom fields at the same time. Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Both are not possible - you can only pull in the primary assignee of a specific template task into a project report using the text mode below. The reason behind this is due to the IF statement in the valueexpression line.

listdelimiter=<p>
listmethod=nested(tasks).lists
textmode=true
type=iterate
valueexpression=IF({templateTaskID}="aecf4d57065fdb8fe0539260720a5552",{assignedTo).{name})
valueformat=HTML

I realize that you need these users to edit project specific fields, but maybe you just have 2 reports side-by-side on a dashboard, 1 task report that shows all the details, and a project report to the right/left so they can in-line edit. @-Jaye just making sure you saw this, since I edited the reply

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 5

I'm not sure I understand @-Jaye , are you trying to get a task's primary assignee but on a project level report? If so, does that mean you're hoping to see 1 single row per project, with a collection field that lists all the primary assignee's of all tasks within that project?

Level 4

Hey @J_Mas - almost! I'm hoping for a field on a project-level report that lists the non-primary assignee of a specific task within that project.

Let's say the specific task's templateTask:name is "Task 1", and there's two assignees on that task in the project. I need either: one column for the primary assignee and one column for the non-primary assignee, OR one column showing both the primary and non-primary assignees.

Does that clear things up? I'm really hoping I'm just overthinking this.

Employee Advisor

@-Jaye Unfortunately, this won't be possible in a project report. In a perfect world, the below text mode would work, but the assignments object (assignmentsListString) is a dynamic field, which means the data cannot be manipulated. When dynamic fields are pulled into a report via a collection, you can't actually filter any assignments out via an IF statement. The only way this would work is if you replaced the valueexpression with a valuefield and removed the IF statement, but that will show ALL assignments on the projects, not necessarily the one tied to your specific template task. 

(Going to return a blank column) 

listdelimiter=<p>
textmode=true
type=iterate
valueexpression=IF({templateTaskID}="aecf4d57065fdb8fe0539260720a5552",{assignmentsListString})
valueformat=HTML

This is a pretty common ask, so I've re-surfaced this suggestion with the Reporting Product Team to see if we can get this added to an upcoming roadmap. Sorry about that! 

Level 4

Thanks @NicholeVargas, really appreciate your insight here and for re-surfacing the suggestion. To clarify, are you saying that both the options of a) splitting the primary and non-primary assignments for a specific task into two columns, and b) showing all assignments for a specific task in one column are not possible in a project report? Thank you!

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Both are not possible - you can only pull in the primary assignee of a specific template task into a project report using the text mode below. The reason behind this is due to the IF statement in the valueexpression line.

listdelimiter=<p>
textmode=true
type=iterate
valueexpression=IF({templateTaskID}="aecf4d57065fdb8fe0539260720a5552",{assignedTo).{name})
valueformat=HTML

I realize that you need these users to edit project specific fields, but maybe you just have 2 reports side-by-side on a dashboard, 1 task report that shows all the details, and a project report to the right/left so they can in-line edit. @-Jaye just making sure you saw this, since I edited the reply

Community Advisor

Hi @-Jaye! Are the tasks you're referring to related to unique job roles? If so, you could pull in a text mode column based on the job role to the project report. The text mode below is pulling from the People section of the project, which picks up the user's assigned job role on a task.

displayname=Manager

listdelimiter=<br>

listmethod=nested(projectUsers).lists

textmode=true

type=iterate

valueexpression=IF({user}.{role}='Manager', {user}.{name})

valueformat=HTML

Level 4

Hi @VictoriaLinn! Unfortunately we can't make use of projectUsers for a few reasons - we don't actively manage the Project Users tab if somebody gets dropped from the project, and we also may have multiple users with the same job role on one project. Thanks for trying to approach this from a different angle, though! I'm sure there's got to be a way to get this, somehow...