Expand my Community achievements bar.

Tasks Not Syncing

Level 2
We have an issue in a project that we're trying to plan out which is something I've never had a problem with before. But we have a project built on Completion Date and about two or three tasks aren't being responsive (as far as due dates go) when set with a predecessor. The dates for a few of these tasks just won't reset or respond. I'm sure that there's a setting within these tasks that I'm not aware of, but I can't put my finger on it. Jernae Kowallis Progressive Leasing
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Level 10
can you let us know what the task constraints for the non responsive tasks are being set to? If they are set to some sort of fixed date constraint (such as "must start on", "must finish on" or "fixed dates") they will not change. -skye

Level 2
We had an issue where the tasks timings weren't being responsive until we changed the project status to Current Yvonne Miaoulis Sage

Level 10
Like Skye mentioned, I'd check the task constraints. If those are As Soon (or As Late) As Possible and it still isn't, try going to Project Actions -> Recalculate Timeline. Not sure why it isn't automatically doing it, but sometimes the tasks just get stuck. If we do that, it refreshes all the tasks and seems to work. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 10
If you're using the Schedule From Completion I will say it's sketchy. I only use it when extremely necessary (last resort). But that's another discussion �� . Obviously everything is backwards (like the Task Constraints Anthony mentioned). But even then I found that if your tasks aren't all chained in sequence the Due Date gets set to the Latest possible date (the Project Completion Date). So you can't break the chain at all. In the screen shot I wanted Task 10 to start 10 days before Task 9 completed. However, that threw everything off as I stated above. So I had to add Task 9 to the pred in Task 11 to restore the chain. And now I have the Fleetwood Mac song in my head �� . Anyway that's what solved it. Make sure they're overtly chained and that might help. Or if at all possible use Schedule From Start �� .

Level 10
something Vic said reminded me that additionally, some tasks just don't change when you've "run out of time". If for some reason, you have a string of tasks that are all predecessors of each other, and your final task is a "Must finish on" task constraint that is set so that there's not enough time in the string to complete it on time, Workfront doesn't give you any errors but at some point in the string, the task due dates will just stop making sense, in order to make sure that the final task is on time. It's a pain that I haven't figured out any way around yet (ideally I'd be able to somehow flag with formatting that certain planned completion dates were set to less than the planned duration), so I think our Project owners have to manually accommodate a check to make sure that duration is being accounted for in a due date. -skye