Expand my Community achievements bar.

Suddenly Missing Task Assignment Emails - anyone else?

Level 9

We're having a serious issue in our Workfront instance. I've reached out to Workfront and they are continuing to say that the behavior is what is expected. This is NOT how Workfront has worked the past 2+ years.

Our users are no longer receiving any email notification when they are assigned a task at the time of the project becoming active. Something has changed on the back end.

Scenario:

1. We convert a request to a project. At conversion, project begins in planning.
  2. We make staff the project with assignments.
  3. We make a number of adjustments, delete unnecessary task, verify custom form information is correct, setup project sponsor, etc.
  4. Once verified schedule matches the necessary deliverable dates, we turn the project current.
  5. All users assigned a task receive an email that says "New Work Request" and they get notice they were assigned a task.

Now - #5 is not happening at all. No users are receiving email notifications even though their notifications are on. Which means, our users aren't aware they have tasks assigned to them. Previously, they received email notifications when the project was turned current.

Workfront is indicating that 'this is expected behavior' and the only time they would get task notifications is at the time of staffing. In other words, when the project becomes current they would not receive any notification of a task.

Is anyone else experiencing this? The time between #1 and #4 can be at times extended as we look to gather more information. So this makes no sense to turn a project current that is A) not setup correctly yet and B) not ready to be worked on.

I'm at a loss and I've needed to alert our users that they can no longer depend on email notifications to know when they have work assigned to them. This is a becoming a huge issue.

Help!

‚‚‚

------------------------------

Christina Jarosz

------------------------------

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

24 Replies

Level 9
Hi Anna, No, this is the one I am referring to: In this example, the project was setup by one person in planning, tasks were assigned during that planning phase, and when it was turned live this task assignment was sent to the person needing to complete this specific task. In this instance, she doesn't receive the type of request above since she does not have this enabled: Thanks for your question. I've provided this example to the Workfront Tech also. At this point, I think this isn't going to get resolved. For whatever reason, this is the way it has worked in the past for us (notification of a task assignment at the moment a project becomes active) - Skye adequately termed it The Way It Used To Be. It sounds like we're going to have to revamp our process and start moving projects current with no assignments, then set assignments. It's an adjustment to our training and our workflow but it sounds like this is The Way It Is Supposed To Work. I posted another thread asking for best practices/ideas of how other people setup their projects hoping to see if there's any other places we can improve upon. Thanks everyone. I'm waiving the white flag here. Christina Jarosz | Ascensus, LLC | Marketing & Communications

Level 10
Christina - it might be that they fixed some "inconsistency with the code." For YEARS for us, if someone had a regular review license and you put them in a team, they could access to a portfolio even though the access level clearly states they should not have that access. This was PERFECT for me, because it forced my people to put the account people into Teams for them to see the client's projects and hotsheets. In the 19.2 release, they fixed the "inconsistency with the code" and we lost that ability. We had to create a new access level Reviewer (with Portfolio Access) and now my people sometimes just share portfolios with an individual and I now have to do a clean up monthly of account people not in a team. That might be what happened here and unfortunately, I think you are right and the white flag will have to be thrown. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 9
Anthony this is SUPER helpful to know! I've been banging my head against a wall since I know what was happening and now what isn't happening. That puts my mind at ease. Christina Jarosz | Ascensus, LLC | Marketing & Communications

Employee
We miss this as well, noticed it awhile back. We have projects with large project teams. When we need to change dates that push out multiple dates, we do not want notifications going out for all date changes so we put the projects in planning to do this. We had to turn off the option for project status change (below) because project managers are frequently making changes and changing the status from current to planning and back again. End users didn't want to see this - they use their dashboards to see what tasks they have upcoming. However, we would like it when NEW task assignments are made in planning, the end-user gets ONE email with all new task assignments when the project is changed to current. Sarah Nau