Expand my Community achievements bar.

Sharing Proofs with Client

Level 3
Hi All- We want to share some large proof documents with some of our clients, but not have them use Proof at all (due to the learning curve). I know I can use the print function, but it doesn't really give us a client-friendly document. Does anyone have any suggestions, as to how to approach this? Thanks, Chris Levitsky Guidemark
23 Replies

Level 3
What makes you thing the learning curve is that big? I think the interface outside of the WF environment is really self explanatory Ian Reddy Director of Business Operations UNiDAYS Nottingham, London, Sydney, New York

Level 4
We use Proof with all of our clients and found that they have picked up on it really quickly. Even if they are just using basic features for giving their feedback. We always compare it to mark ups in Adobe. If you are not wanting them to use the Proof function you could have them download the document after sending through proof instead of printing it. Like you said, the print function in proof is not very friendly. You just have to have your proof set up under proof details to allow people to download. We also use the Subscription and sharing URL when we send to our clients, this allows the client to share the proof internally with others if needed by forwarding that link. Kristina Walton Healthgrades

Level 3
Thanks Kristina- The only problem with downloading the proof is that if there are already comments on the proof, they won't be included in the download. I have the ~10 page Reviewing Proofs with the Proofing Viewer document, which is comprehensive, but might be a bit daunting for our clients. Is there something simple that you share with your clients when first introducing them to Workfront Proof? Thanks, Chris Levitsky Guidemark

Level 10
Hi Chris - for several years, we used to do a PDF export of the comments. When you are in the Print Summary page, in the upper right hand corner, you will see a PDF button. Now, it takes AWHILE to get it done, but you will then get an email that is a PDF that has the comments put in it. Now with that said, the resolution of the images are low on the PDF. So we are starting to send more and more proofs to clients and vendors. The Proof Viewer interface is pretty easy. We have a 10 minute that goes through all the items in case they need it, but people seem to really pick it up. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 7
I would lean on the existing functionality and technology - it's easy to pick up and use and it has some really excellent reviewing and markup tools Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation

Level 3
thanks Anthony. Chris Levitsky Guidemark

Level 3
Thanks Richard. I think we will revisit having our clients use Proof. I'll pare down the ~10 page Reviewing Proofs with the Proof Viewer document to just the basics, so that there is something just to get our clients started. Thanks, Chris Levitsky Guidemark

Level 3
Hi Kristina- So after some back and forth, we have decided to start using Proof with our clients. I'm wondering, is it possible to only allow them to see the most current version of a proof? Many times some of our previous proof versions may have some internal comments that we would like to avoid sharing with the client if possible. Thank you, Chris Chris Levitsky Guidemark

Level 3
Hi Anthony- So after some back and forth, we have decided to start using Proof with our clients. I'm wondering, is it possible to only allow them to see the most current version of a proof? Many times some of our previous proof versions may have some internal comments that we would like to avoid sharing with the client if possible. Thank you, Chris Chris Levitsky Guidemark

Level 10
we also have this cheatsheet for clients.... Katherine Haven, PMP VP, Director, Business Technologies - PMO FCB

Community Advisor
Hi Chris, We also have previous proof versions with internal comments that we'd prefer not to share with our business partners. If you use the Automated Workflows, reviewers will only see the versions where they have been added to the workflow. We did find once an automated workflow was added to a proof, sometimes that automated workflow stayed on the proof when an additional version was added, sometimes it did not. Our project managers wanted the automated workflow to remain on the proof for subsequent version so they didn't have to set up the workflow all over again if there was more than one round going out to the business partner. We determined that how the new proof was uploaded made the difference on whether the workflow remained. If the new version was added as a proof, the workflow remained. If the new version was added as a "document only" then the generate proof link clicked, the workflow did not remain on the proof. Also, if I remember correctly, dragging and dropping a new version onto a previous version eliminated the workflow as well. To solve for this we went into the profile of those uploading documents for proofs and checked "Automatically generate proofs when uploading documents"

Level 7
Quote: If you use the Automated Workflows, reviewers will only see the versions where they have been added to the workflow. In this situation what happens when the reviewer navigates to the 'version picker' in PHQ? Are they able to view and choose previous versions of the proof in the menu? The item marked A on page 5 here - https://higherlogicdownload.s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/WORKFRONT/Reviewing%20Proofs%20with%20the%20... Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation

Community Advisor
In this situation, they are only able to view and choose those previous version where they were part of the workflow. So if there is a total of 4 versions, but they were listed in the workflow only on versions 3 and 4, they would not be able to see or choose versions 1 and 2 in the 'version picker'

Level 3
Thanks for sharing Richard. Chris Chris Levitsky Guidemark

Level 3
Hi Katherine - Thanks for sharing...I appreciate it. Chris Chris Levitsky Guidemark

Level 3
Hi Heather- Thanks for your explanation of how you are currently handling this. It seems to make sense, and we will definitely start testing it to ensure it works for us, before including clients. Thanks, Chris Chris Levitsky Guidemark

Level 7
I was able to test the workflow / manual sharing extensively this morning. From what I gathered, if there are 4 versions in a proof and a user is only added to the 4th workflow (whether manual or via workflow template) they will only see the specific proof version which was shared with them. If a user navigates to the documents tab for the project, if they click on the document to select it and if they go into the sharing pane on the right they will have access to all versions of the proof. From there they are able to click on any versions of the document (including ones which were not shared with them specifically) and view those proof versions. Once this happens they will then have access to ALL previous versions of the proof whenever they open PHQ. In other words, if version 4 was shared with Bob and Bob navigates to the project and clicks to view 3, he now has permanent view access to 1, 2, 3, and 4. I realize that a lot of our users won't be sophisticated enough to know to navigate to the document tab in the project but there will be a lot of our users who understand this dynamic and will potentially have access to proofs which were not shared with them. This isn't a huge concern for us specifically because our proofs are all internal only, but it might be valuable info for those who share proofs with outside agencies or individuals. Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation

Level 3
Hi Richard- I tried testing this over the weekend by using a personal e-mail address of myself and another family member, by sending them a proof review request on a proof that I know has multiple proof versions. Perhaps my setup is incorrect, because we were able to see every proof version, even though only the most recent version was shared with them. Not sure what I'm doing wrong? In your testing, were there specific settings that you were using? Thanks, Chris Levitsky Guidemark

Level 7
I can't think of any settings that would effect this but these are the steps I took. Upload test document to test project Upload 2 more versions on top (New -> Proof) Open proof details, enter in email address, share When clicking the link in the email it takes me to PHQ and in the version menu it only shows v3 and not v2 or v1 which corresponds to my sharing options Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation