Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Reporting tasks by assignee group matching logged in user's group

Level 1

I am struggling to get a report working which I thought would be pretty straightforward.  Long story short, I recently became my property's Workfront admin, and am trying to organize our existing user structure to roughly align with our org chart.  I had thought one benefit to doing so would be that I could report on the task status of a manager's direct reports by reporting on all task assignments which are assigned to a group of which the manager is a member of.  As a trial, I deployed a small test department structure:

• testGroup
    • Manager is a member of this group 
    • subTestGroup1
      • teamMember1 is a member of this group, and has been assigned tasks
    • subTestGroup2
      • teamMember2 is a member of this group, and has been assigned tasks

I built a task report filtered by "Assignment Users >> Home Group ID" is equal to $$USER.homeGroupID and expected to see teamMember1 and teamMember2 tasks, but get no results (assuming that since subTestGroup1 and subTestGroup2 are subgroups of testGroup that they would be included).  I tried adding "Assignment Users >> Home Group ID" is equal to $$USER.otherGroupIDs and had the same result.  I'm trying to link data to the logged in user so I'm not duplicating reports for each group/department.  I've tried other combinations of task reporting which refers to a group ID and nothing returns the tasks assigned to teamMember1/2.

I ran a separate user report with the users' home group IDs, and none of the three users have a group in common.  Here's what the User profiles look like:

• Manager
    • Home Group: testGroup
    • Other Groups: subTestGroup1; subTestGroup2
  • teamMember1
    • Home Group: subTestGroup1
  • teamMember2
    • Home Group: subTestGroup2

I have yet to try putting teamMember1 or teamMember2 in Home Group testGroup, as that would defeat the whole purpose of groups/sub groups in my opinion.  Ideally, I would imagine that the Manager doesn't need to be in the "Other Groups" at all, as I would assume they would inherit the subgroups.  Does anyone have a lead on how I can start untangling this?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

A task report filtering on Assignment Users / Home Group ID = $$USER.homeGroupID would show you tasks that are assigned to any user in the viewer's home group.

In your case, if teamMember1, 3, 4, 6 and 8 are all in the same HOME group (subTestGroup1), and have permissions to see each other's tasks, then when you log in as any of these team members, and view your report, you should see tasks assigned to any of the team members.

If teamMember2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 9  are all in the same group (subTestGroup2 -- note at this point, 3 and 4 would have this as an Other Group), then when you log in as any of these team members and view your report, 2, 5, 7 and 9 should see tasks assigned to anyone with subTestGroup2 as their home group. 3 and 4 should see subTestGroup1 tasks. This is assuming everyone has permissions to see everyone's tasks.

If you use the Other Groups wildcard filter, teamMember3 and 4 should see the full set of subtestgroup1 and subtestgroup2 tasks. (So if the manager has these in their other groups section AND normally has permissions to see those tasks, they should see the full set of tasks as well)

TL;DR: the wildcards should work when you log in as someone (this part was not clear in your original post) and IF that person normally has permission to see the tasks anyway.

If you want to go a different route, you can also try this recipe:

https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/workfront-questions/cookbook-recipe-highlight-my-pe...

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

A task report filtering on Assignment Users / Home Group ID = $$USER.homeGroupID would show you tasks that are assigned to any user in the viewer's home group.

In your case, if teamMember1, 3, 4, 6 and 8 are all in the same HOME group (subTestGroup1), and have permissions to see each other's tasks, then when you log in as any of these team members, and view your report, you should see tasks assigned to any of the team members.

If teamMember2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 9  are all in the same group (subTestGroup2 -- note at this point, 3 and 4 would have this as an Other Group), then when you log in as any of these team members and view your report, 2, 5, 7 and 9 should see tasks assigned to anyone with subTestGroup2 as their home group. 3 and 4 should see subTestGroup1 tasks. This is assuming everyone has permissions to see everyone's tasks.

If you use the Other Groups wildcard filter, teamMember3 and 4 should see the full set of subtestgroup1 and subtestgroup2 tasks. (So if the manager has these in their other groups section AND normally has permissions to see those tasks, they should see the full set of tasks as well)

TL;DR: the wildcards should work when you log in as someone (this part was not clear in your original post) and IF that person normally has permission to see the tasks anyway.

If you want to go a different route, you can also try this recipe:

https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/workfront-questions/cookbook-recipe-highlight-my-pe...

Community Advisor

Hi Skye! Related question, drawing a blank here for something I know should be easy.
I have a task report pulling tasks assigned to those in a specific Home Group. What filter do I need to add to also pull anyone who has this Group as one of their Other Groups? I want tasks showing for anyone that has this group as either their Home Group or Other Groups. Not seeing a native option for this - what am I missing?

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Community Advisor

I personally don't think this can be done, but you can definitely post about it separately to get more visibility. In my mind you've got two collections going on here -- the collection of everyone assigned to the task and the collection of all of their groups. You could get around that with an assignment report and an exists filter looking through all their groups but from a task report I just don't see the solution.

Community Advisor

Ok, may do a separate post. It's bizarre that in a task report I can specify assignment users home group = X but not assignment users other groups = X (at least not from native filter options).

Community Advisor

@skyehansen I'm not seeing an assignment users or assigned to other group filter in an assignment report, what is it called specifically?

Community Advisor

You'd have to access the groups through an exists filter. I would have to look around and see if I can find the syntax for that -- it's just more the direction I would go in, next.

Community Advisor

it's not that bizarre if you consider that you're trying to reference a collection of groups within a collection of users -- workfront reports simply don't work this way.