Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

Report showing any 'ignored' tasks

Level 6
I'm trying to produce a report to name and shame any user who is ignoring tasks assigned to them. I've started with a task report and filtered it by tasks with a status of 'new' and with zero hours with a commit date a week old but that doesn't always signify they're ignoring it, meaning they haven't clicked on 'work on it'. Can anyone help? Thanks
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

7 Replies

Level 10
Hi - great topic to discuss… First, I need to know what constitutes “ignoring tasks”. Ignoring implies they know they should be working on it and aren’t. What they can say (whether it is the truth or not) is that they didn’t know they were assigned the work. What I would do to remove all plausible deniability and schedule a report that tells them all of the tasks they are assigned to that are active where the planned start date is in the past. That way, they’ve got the My Work list of work and a weekly email that outlines exactly what has been assigned to them. NOW if they aren’t working on a task, it was a conscious decision not to work on it. Flipping the status of a task to “In progress” means nothing. Most people here don’t change the status at all. I prefer to think that if they haven’t charged time to a task, they aren’t working on it - or they are working on it and dumping their time elsewhere. Either way, it’s worth a conversation. I have a report of tasks that should have started a week ago, is assigned to a person (not assigned to only a role) and there is no time charged to it. That tells me that if they were working on it around the time it should have started, and didn’t charge time to it, they must not be working on it. That is part of our quality dashboard project managers use to prioritize things to speak with the project team about. Does this help at all? Thanks, Eric

Level 10
(transplanting from wrong thread) Hi Laura, The Commit Date will be null until the Assignee "accepts" the Task via the Work On It button, so I suggest you use the Planned Start Date instead. If the Commit Date is blank, you could also shame them further, if so inclined. For a longer but spirited background discussion (including our Synchronize Commit Dates solution) check out the Commit Dates Are Killing Us thread. Regards, Doug

Level 6
Yes, great stuff. I like the idea of being more proactive in sending out weekly reports. I will do that for sure. It’s amazing to me how many people we have that are just ignoring tasks with the hope they’ll just go away! I just don’t understand that at all. Why not ask! Groan…. Laura Ray Project Support Analyst Bakkavor Information Systems Bakkavor Group West Marsh Road, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 2BB, UK Direct: +44 (0)1775 763 010 www.Bakkavor.com // Laura.Ray@Bakkavor.com< [cid:image002.png@01D1F89D.9703FD30]

Level 6
Lol, thanks Doug :) Also, I've been following the 'Commit dates are killing us' thread and it's been interesting stuff, although I have to confess I haven't completely taken it all in. While I understand the context, we haven't experienced the pain of these yet but I feel it coming on soon....... like a bad cough you can't shake off!

Level 1
I'd like to know how to do this, too. Basically, what I want is a personalized report that shows the user's task assignments where they haven't clicked "work on it" yet. Did anyone provide this answer? I don't see it clearly above.

Level 10
Hi Rebecca, The basics: I'd use an Assignment report where Assigned To ID = $$USER.ID and Assignment Status = Requested. That will show you a report of all requests (so tasks or issues) that are assigned to you and that you haven't clicked Work On It yet. To make it prettier: I'd also add the filters Project Status = Current (and any other statuses you have that are equal to Current. We have a custom one called Request Queue). You can also add Task and Issue status but know you will need to do an OR statement for that as no assignment has but a task and issue status. Do you know how to combine columns? When I do an Assignment report, I add both the columns Task Name and Issue Name and then in the text mode of Task Name, I add "sharecol=true" and "displayname=Task/Issue Name". You can do the same thing with date fields if you need to include those. Hope this is helpful.

Level 1
Finally getting around to building this - thanks SO much, Anthony! I didn’t know we could combine columns - this is great news that I plan to use for reports I’ve already built. Cheers, Rebecca