Expand my Community achievements bar.

Report help: Planned hours remaining

Level 4

We are trying to build a report to show:

• Project name
  • Task name
  • Task planned start and end dates
  • Actual hour to date
  • Planned hours remaining <<< HOW DO WE DO THIS?

Normally, we calculate planned hours minus actual hours.

However, we only want future planned hours (those that have been resourced since the beginning of this week) without considering historical planned hours. 

Any suggestions on the calculation?

7 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi, so you have a task report, I assume, and you want to show difference between actual hours logged on the tasks vs. planned hours. Is that correct?

If so, try adding a column to your report and enter this value expression in the column text mode:

displayname=Difference in Hours (or whatever you want to call it)
textmode=true
valueexpression=CONCAT(DIV(SUB({actualWorkRequired},{workRequired})/60)," Hours")
valueformat=HTML

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 4

Madalyn,

Close. We don't want to pull the total planned hours, only the future planned hours.

Essentially, it is a report that shows how much time has been spent to date and captured on timesheets (as of the last timesheet period) and how much future planned time – assigned time by day or whatever the system calls it – remains (starting in the current week). 

We want to see how many hours people have spent on the task and how many planned hours are projected in the future. To gage estimated effort of key tasks to compare between projects.

We cannot use the total planned hours based on how we resource which is why we cannot use total planned hours.

Community Advisor

Hmm that's tricky bc that assumes you've been tracking against the planned hrs at a consistent rate, not sure how WF would know how many planned hrs are 'left' without looking at total planned hours.

Have you messed with the 'show remaining time' setting in the workload balancer? If you're looking to see which resource is best for the week based on avails, this could help? Sorry I'm not much help on this one.

Madalyn_Destafney_0-1717788693989.png

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 4

Let's say a user worked 15 hours on a task by the start of this week (actual hours). How can I add up the 10 hours planned for this week and the 10 hours planned for next week that show up on the WLB for a total of 20 planned remaining hours?

Based on your comments you understand what I'm after.

If I look at API Explorer, I feel like it has something to do with the workPerDate field in the Assignment object. I'm trying to capture the value of the hour value displayed when the WLB is viewed in Day mode, I believe to add up based on a date range.

Hi @Ross_Barton,

If I'm following, it sounds like you're after the hours side of the "Forecast" concept we use (including the margins side) of our AFA Burn Report, which I invite you to confirm in this video I've queued up to the right spot.

If so, then yes, you're on the right track with the workPerDate field, but when last I checked, isn't yet available via native Workfront reporting, which is one of the reasons we created our solution.

Regards,

Doug

Doug,

I was afraid of the workPerDate field not being available in native reporting. 

Is there anything Planner could do in a project view?

Hi @Ross_Barton,

Depending on your requirements, Planner might be an option…but for our AFA Burn Report (and AFA Burn List) solutions, our requirements were to reveal the Approved vs Forecast vs Actuals at the Project > Department > Role > User levels (and Project > Program > Portfolio > Total levels) with user specified Assignment (or Project) filters and timeframes to find the data of interest, including baselines and multi-currency exchange rate conversion…essentially The Full Monty of variance reporting.

Regards,

Doug