Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Report, Custom form and default question - hope you can help

Level 4

Hi there - hoping someone can help me think through the best way to do this. Hoping it is possible!

I have a custom form on all projects that has a yes or no answer - the default is yes - currently in the custom form. All projects align to programs.

But I have projects that align with 7 specific programs where the default answer should be no.

So in all cases - projects aligned to all but 7 programs should default to yes and projects aligned to those specific 7 programs should default to NO.

But in a project report - I want a user to have access to change that default answer to either yes or no based on the individual project - not the program. So some projects within those identified programs would be switched to yes based on user decision.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sherri

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Sherri,

I'm following, and concur with Anthony, but if you think it warrants the effort, suggest you could;

• Create a Calculated Parameter called "Send a Survey Default" with a formula (e.g. IFIN(...)) that checks for seven customers in question and sets "No", but otherwise sets "Yes"
  • Remove the default from your existing parameter (allowing it to be Null, by default) and rename it to "Send a Survey Override"
  • Create a new Calculated Parameter called "Send a Survey" (yep, your original name, so it ties to existing views, etc.) with a formula of IF(ISBLANK(Send a Survey Override, Send a Survey Default, Send a Survey Override).

In this fashion, unless end users choose to override the logic, Send a Survey will (effectively) default based upon the company.

Regards,

Doug

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 10

Hi - Hopefully I'm understand the question. But I wanted you to know that as long as the user has manage rights on the project, you can add the field to a report or view and they can inline edit it to Yes or No.

Level 4

Correct - what I am trying to figure out is how can a custom form that resides on a project that as a default of Yes correctly indicated for 90% of our projects - but the 10% aligned to 7 customers/programs - need that custom from to default to no. And still be editable in a report to either yes or no by the user.

Specifically - we have a custom form on a project that asks - send a survey? yes or No - we default this to answer yes - for 90% of our projects aligned to customers/programs that is the correct answer. But there are 7 customers that we need the default to be NO rather than yes. So for every project that references customer X we need the default to be NO rather than Yes. But still have the ability to change that on a project to project basis in a report view based on the choice of the user. Our Customers equal the program.

Does that makes sense?

Level 10

Hi - Well, you can't change defaults on a single question so my personal opinion would be to not have a default and make them pick it for each project. You might need a compliance report/dashboard to track projects where that isn't checked.

We have a "double check" dashboard for our PMs with widgets for certain settings that are missing on their projects.

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Sherri,

I'm following, and concur with Anthony, but if you think it warrants the effort, suggest you could;

• Create a Calculated Parameter called "Send a Survey Default" with a formula (e.g. IFIN(...)) that checks for seven customers in question and sets "No", but otherwise sets "Yes"
  • Remove the default from your existing parameter (allowing it to be Null, by default) and rename it to "Send a Survey Override"
  • Create a new Calculated Parameter called "Send a Survey" (yep, your original name, so it ties to existing views, etc.) with a formula of IF(ISBLANK(Send a Survey Override, Send a Survey Default, Send a Survey Override).

In this fashion, unless end users choose to override the logic, Send a Survey will (effectively) default based upon the company.

Regards,

Doug

Hi Doug,

I used your suggestion and it works great! - I did have a problem with the IFIN({program}.{name},"company"...... Although the documentation in WF ONE shows the curly brackets around those first pieces. I had to remove them and used Program.Name instead and it worked finally after a bit of trial and error. Not sure if that is a bug? I will post it to support and ask. Their IFIN reference included the curly brackets but their example didn't work in my field either - but in the end figured it out.

I really appreciate all of the comments and ideas - you guys are great and as I build my knowledge hope to share it out in the future as well!!!

Thanks again!

Sherri

Level 10

Hi Sherri, The discrepancy in the documentation has to do with the syntax difference between calculated columns and calculated fields. A field would use "Program.Name" where a column would use "{program}.{name}".

You can read more here: Here

Level 10

Well done Sherri!

It’s a bit of extra effort to set up, but gets you what you really need, for smooth workflow.

As we say in our shop: “We work hard to make it easy”.

Regards,

Doug