Expand my Community achievements bar.

Remaining Hours

Level 1
What is the best way to show Remaining Hours on each of the Tasks? Other than using the EAC field, which shows an estimate of the total at completion. I cant use this as it shows complete Tasks with no actuals as EAC = budget, instead of 0.
6 Replies

Level 8
I have a custom form on each task, and one of the fields I have is a calculated field called "Planned Hours - Actual Hours". The formula is: SUB(Planned Hours,Actual Hours)/60 You could also create a valueexpression formula in a column view if you don't want to use the custom form.

Level 1
Thanks Adina, do you have many instances of the actual hours exceeding the planned? Ive been doing this exact process in excel but adding an IF qualifier that if the actual are greater than planned exclude these from the calculation, was hoping i wouldnt have to do this in WF, that im just missing an easy way to get this info without having to create it myself. Are you using this field to show remaining units over time at all?

Level 8
Yes, I have many instances of actual exceeding planned, and in that case, I have the field highlighted in my project view so it stands out. I have the same calculated field on my project custom forms as well, and we report on that a lot.

Level 7
We use a "View" under Tasks. In that view we show Baseline Hours, Planned Hours, Actual Hours, and Hours remaining (along with other hour calculations, like BL - Actual, Pct. of Plan, and BL - Plan). For Hours remaining, we use this text: displayname=Hrs Remain textmode=true valueexpression=({workRequired}-{actualWorkRequired})/60 valueformat= And for actual hours, we use this text: aggregator.displayformat=minutesAsHoursString aggregator.function=SUM aggregator.valuefield=actualWorkRequired aggregator.valueformat=intAsInt descriptionkey=actualwork listsort=intAsInt(actualWorkRequired) namekey=actualwork.abbr querysort=actualWorkRequired styledef.comparison.leftmethod=intAsInt(actualWorkRequired) styledef.comparison.operator=gt styledef.comparison.operatortype=int styledef.comparison.rightmethod=intAsInt(workRequired) styledef.comparison.truetext=font-weight:900;color:#990000; valuefield=actualWorkRequired valueformat=compound width=80

Level 1
Just stumbled upon this today when searching for how to create a custom "Remaining Hours" column. thanks! But how do I make look like 3.5 instead of 3.466666666666667?

Level 7
What was entered for you planned hours and actual hours? If you are subtracting these numbers, how are you getting so many decimals unless one of those numbers has that many decimals. Anyway, you could use the rounding function I guess.