Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Pulling a project level report that can be filtered or have a column by folder names

Level 4

Hello community! 

Is there a way for me to pull a report that shows all the folder names as a column in projects? Also, as another layer, can I add a filter to only show projects that have certain folders? 

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

hi, if you look at the API explorer (projects and documents collections tabs) there's not a way to do this.

Even a solution using an exists statement is a little restrictive, since it will not report on empty folders -- it relies on there being a document in the folder in order to make the filter work (see the line stating that the document's project ID is equal to the ID). If you were interested in reporting on folders that didn't have files already in them, the filter wouldn't work. As long as you're only interested in reporting on occupied folders, you're probably ok... probably. (I'd recommend you run some tests on sub folders to be sure)

Similarly a view probably isn't possible, since first you'd need to report on a collection of a collection (folders are a collection of a file) and this is the unpossible part. And second -- you would also need there to be an uploaded file.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi there, I haven't messed with this to check but for your second question - in a project report, add this text mode as a filter to pull in projects that includes a certain folder:
EXISTS:a:$$EXISTSMOD=NOTEXISTS
EXISTS:a:$$OBJCODE=DOCFLD
EXISTS:a:document:projectID=FIELD:ID
EXISTS:a:folder:name=TYPE YOUR PARTICULAR FOLDER NAME HERE
EXISTS:a:folder:name_Mod=cicontains

Or if you need to check for 2 folders:
OR:1:EXISTS:a:$$EXISTSMOD=NOTEXISTS
OR:1:EXISTS:a:$$OBJCODE=DOCFLD
OR:1:EXISTS:a:document:projectID=FIELD:ID
OR:1:EXISTS:a:folder:name=TYPE FOLDER 1 NAME HERE
OR:1:EXISTS:a:folder:name_Mod=cicontains
OR:2:EXISTS:a:$$EXISTSMOD=NOTEXISTS
OR:2:EXISTS:a:$$OBJCODE=DOCFLD
OR:2:EXISTS:a:document:projectID=FIELD:ID
OR:2:EXISTS:a:folder:name=TYPE FOLDER 2 NAME HERE
OR:2:EXISTS:a:folder:name_Mod=cicontains

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

hi, if you look at the API explorer (projects and documents collections tabs) there's not a way to do this.

Even a solution using an exists statement is a little restrictive, since it will not report on empty folders -- it relies on there being a document in the folder in order to make the filter work (see the line stating that the document's project ID is equal to the ID). If you were interested in reporting on folders that didn't have files already in them, the filter wouldn't work. As long as you're only interested in reporting on occupied folders, you're probably ok... probably. (I'd recommend you run some tests on sub folders to be sure)

Similarly a view probably isn't possible, since first you'd need to report on a collection of a collection (folders are a collection of a file) and this is the unpossible part. And second -- you would also need there to be an uploaded file.