Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Project Owners

Level 3
Background: Our projects and reporting is currently set up with our Account Managers as the "Project Owners". We have recently implemented the Project Manager role, due to adopting Agile. Our team is having some pain with the Commit Date function, since they live and breathe in My Work. Our Project Managers own the project through the process, so we'd like for them to be able to accept this commit date. We're thinking of making the PM the "Project Owner" and the AM the "Project Sponsor", and creating a custom grouping so the PM can still identify the projects by AM. Before going down this road, I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help with: Is there a way to have the Project Manager accept the commit date without being the project owner? If so, please explain. Is there a downside to changing the Project Owner? Does switching the owner affect reporting at all? (We pull once the project is complete where the AM will be back as the Project Owner) Thanks in advance for your help! Justin Enzor Insperity
1 Reply

Community Advisor
We have Project Managers who own the project process and Senior Project Managers who are similar to your Account Managers. We've made the PM the "Project Owner," we have the original requester as the "Project Sponsor," and we place the projects into Portfolios with the Sr PMs as "Portfolio Owners." This allows both the PM and Sr PM to see all the projects that are grouped together within each Portfolio. If your reports are pulling by AM as the Project Owner role, you would have to change that to the Portfolio Owner role, so just something to consider. For us, the Portfolios have been a huge time savings on the occasion that projects need to change hands, such as when a staff member leaves and we add additional staff. Heather Slater Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.