Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!
SOLVED

On the task level - how do you compare the hours that are planned for a user with the hours they have added to their timesheet when there are multiple people assigned?

Level 4

Hi All.

I am working a view (or a report would work too), that compares the amount of time a user has planned on a task, and the amount of time they have already added to their timesheet for the task.

This is pretty easy when you have on user on a task, but becomes harder (at least for me) when there are multiple users on the same task.

The custom code in this link comes close, but it is really hard to read, and you cannot create the delta between the planned and actual hours on a user level.

https://one.workfront.com/s/document-item?bundleId=workfront-classic&topicId=Content%2FReports_and_D...

This one also comes close, but it does not break it down on an individual level.

https://one.workfront.com/s/document-item?bundleId=workfront-classic&topicId=Content%2FReports_and_D...

I have tried an Assignment Report, which does detail the hours assigned to each user, but when you pull in the actual hours (at least how I am doing it), it displays all of the actual hours for that task not just the ones for the user.

Hopefully this is something silly I am missing, and not another one of those WF calculations that seem like a no brainer, but are impossible to actually achieve.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

No, not very standard at all. 😮

The key fields you need are:

• actualWorkCompleted = hours logged by a specific assignee; this won't be in the UI so you have to use text mode
  • workRequired = hours required of a specific assignee

We have numerous filters on this one, but the key one is:

Assignment » Assigned To ID Equals $$USER.ID

And yes, this must be an assignment report, not a task report.

My users love this report, as do the resource managers.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Level 5

Hi Kris,

While on the tasks tab of a project, add the following code as columns to a view:

Total Hours Assigned to the Task:

descriptionkey=plannedhour.plural

displayname=Ttl Hrs

listsort=intAsInt(workRequired)

namekey=plannedhour.plural.abbr

querysort=workRequired

section=0

shortview=false

stretch=0

textmode=true

valuefield=workRequired

valueformat=compound

viewalias=workrequired

width=90

Planned Hours by User:

displayname=Planned Hours by Assignment

listdelimiter=<br>

listmethod=nested(assignments).lists

textmode=true

type=iterate

valueexpression=CONCAT({assignedTo}.{name}," - ",{workRequired}/60)

valueformat=HTML

Actual Hours by User:

displayname=Actual Hours by User

listdelimiter=<br>

listmethod=nested(assignments).lists

textmode=true

type=iterate

valueexpression=CONCAT({assignedTo}.{name}," - ",ROUND({actualWorkCompleted}/60,4))

valueformat=HTML

Level 4

Thanks @Susan Hart‚

That is similar to one of the solutions I posted above. This displays what I want to see, but I am looking for it in a more user friendly format, something like:

Task Name | User Name | User's Planned Hours | User's Actual Hours | Delta

Level 10

Hi Chris,

We include the friendly format you seek at the bottom of our (graphical) Capacity Chart solution in this format: Job Role | Staff Name | Day or Week or Month | Project | Capacity | Planned Hours | Capacity - Planned Hours | Actuals | Planned - Actual.

And, to your original post's closing line...with varying schedules, personal time off, % based roles, contoured tasks, and multiple assignments these numbers are definitely NOT trivial (hence, our separate solutions).

Regards,

Doug

Level 10

Are you looking at something like the attached?

This is an assignment report filtered by $$USER.ID. Additional fields to the left are task name, project name, and project number.

0694X00000BylV9QAJ.png

Level 4

@Kevin Quosig‚

Thanks. For the All Assignees column, is that multiple assignees, or individual. I think it looks like it is multiple on a task. This is close to what I am looking for, but I want it on the individual assignee level. So there could be a task that has two assigneee. One of the assignees has 10 planned hours, the other has 8 planned hours. Assignee 1 has 5 actual hours already on that task, and assignee 2 has 4 actual hours on the task.

It looks like your report is combining the planned and actuals for all assignees to one task, and not breaking them out.

Let me know if that is not the case.

I can create a report that shows the amount of planned hours for each task for each user, and a separate report that shows the actual hours for each task for each user, but have not figured out a way to combine them.

Level 10

This report is on a dashboard for each worker and lists any task they are assigned to. It shows their individual part of the assignment (blue columns), plus the task name and project name (not shown, confidential). Yes, most of our tasks are multi-assigned, but this report gives insight at the individual assignee level.

For perspective, the other columns list task-level details (so the Worker can see who else is on the task, the total progress of the task, etc.

So "Hours Assigned to Me" shows the hours assigned to the viewing worker, and "Total Hours Assigned to Task" shows the entire hours assigned to that task across all assignees.

So this report shows:

1. Hours assigned and logged by the viewing assigned user ($$USED.ID) assigned to that task.
  2. Total hours assigned and logged for the entire task (all assignees).

NOT shown:

1. Hours breakout of all users in the task. Bob only cares about how many hours Bob can use, not how many Jane can use.

This is a Worker-centric report (a To Do list for a worker). If you want the entire breakdown for each assignee then that would be Planner-centric and…I don't have one of those. :-)

Level 4

@Kevin Quosig‚ -

Thanks. I think that is exactly what I am looking for. This is just a standard assignment report, filtered by $$USERID?

Correct answer by
Level 10

No, not very standard at all. 😮

The key fields you need are:

• actualWorkCompleted = hours logged by a specific assignee; this won't be in the UI so you have to use text mode
  • workRequired = hours required of a specific assignee

We have numerous filters on this one, but the key one is:

Assignment » Assigned To ID Equals $$USER.ID

And yes, this must be an assignment report, not a task report.

My users love this report, as do the resource managers.

Level 2

Can you share the full text mode for actualWorkCompleted and workRequired? Thank you!

Level 4

@Kevin Quosig‚

THANK YOU. Got it working. 100% exactly what I needed.