Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Notifications for Inherited Permissions

Level 5

Hello - when we launch a project from a template or switch the status from Planning to Current, or Current to Complete - do people with "Inherited Permissions" (because we have shared our portfolio with them) get those email notifications as well? Thanks! 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

No, having inherited access to a project does not trigger any notifications about that project.

If someone with Portfolio access receives a project-related notification, it's because they are also on the project through some other method, like a task assignment, or because they own the Portfolio or Program to which the project was added.

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

No, having inherited access to a project does not trigger any notifications about that project.

If someone with Portfolio access receives a project-related notification, it's because they are also on the project through some other method, like a task assignment, or because they own the Portfolio or Program to which the project was added.

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Level 4

We've also been trying to track down similar notifications issues in our Workfront instance.  We thought it could be 'inherited permissions', but after a little more digging it seems like it's the 'People' section of our main request queue project.  Anytime one of our staff is assigned to a request, they are added back to the 'People' section of the request queue project.  They then start getting notifications about that request queue (example, someone submits a new request and adds a document, they get a notification that a document has been uploaded). 

Does this sound correct?  Is there a way to prevent these types of notifications specifically?

Community Advisor

That is correct. 

It sounds like your request queue is not configured to take full advantage of routing rules. Using routing rules is always advised. This allows you to make a queue broadly accessible to many/all users and depending upon the queue topic they select to submit their request, it is routed to a separate project that is privately managed by the working team. 

For example, I publish a queue called "Software Support Requests" and create three queue topics: Microsoft, Adobe, and Zoom. I can create a routing rule for each of those queue topics that specify any inbound request is immediately routed to a separate project. If the user selected the Microsoft queue topic, their request gets routed to the separate project called "Microsoft Support Requests." With this setup, a user assigned to a request in Microsoft Support Requests will get added to that project's project team, but not be added to the project teams for Adobe Support Requests or Zoom Support Requests - those teams no longer need to work out of the same project or get notifications about one another's work.

Level 4

Thank you for the reply!  We do use routing rules a bit in this case, the request comes in, in then assigned to an 'Intake Team', and then the request is assigned to a staff person, who then converts that request to a project.  In your example wouldn't our staff still get notifications when someone makes a request to the initial project?   The issue in our case is that when a staff person converts the issue into a project from 'Project Request Queue', they're added to the 'People' section again. They start getting unnecessary notifications like 'User X Uploaded a Document to Project Request Queue', the moment that user submits their initial request.