Expand my Community achievements bar.

Next upcoming task

Level 4
Hi there, i did a search but couldn't find anything. Is there a way to report on the next upcoming task? I have a task report to show the tasks due on the next 2 days, but wondered if there is a way to show the next 2 incomplete tasks regardless of when they are due... Patty Moreno McCann Health
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

9 Replies

Level 2
Hi We have a report (which is in a highlight dashboard) which displays tasks due to commence or complete in the next fortnight. We use this code for the filter. sComplete=false isComplete_Mod=eq numberOfChildren=0 numberOfChildren_Mod=eq plannedCompletionDate=$$TODAYbw plannedCompletionDate_Mod=between plannedCompletionDate_Range=$$TODAYe+1w OR:1:isComplete=false OR:1:isComplete_Mod=eq OR:1:numberOfChildren=0 OR:1:numberOfChildren_Mod=eq OR:1:plannedStartDate=$$TODAYbw OR:1:plannedStartDate_Mod=between OR:1:plannedStartDate_Range=$$TODAYe+1w Whilst this may not be exactly what you need, it might give you a few pointers on how to achieve what you need. Martin Vines GRANT THORNTON UK LLP

Level 4
Thank you! Will give it a try ☺ PATRICIA MORENO | WORKFLOW SYSTEMS MANAGER/PRINT PRODUCTION SERVICES T 973 917 6745 | M 973 865 8530 | patricia.moreno@mccann.com 49 Bloomfield Ave, Mountain Lakes, NJ 07046 "https://www.webcargo.net/request/index/id/7299708/dp/0yrcdXl0dzPIyXDQZS"> Click here to send me files via WEBCARGO.net This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this message for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disseminate or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message. Thank you very much.

Level 10
Hi Patty, I've gotten this request a lot where they don't want to filter by a certain time frame, they just want the next two tasks coming up. I have not been able to find a filter to restrict the number of items returned. I'm hoping maybe someone else on here has figured that out.
"//imgur.com/FHNi4rV">Wishing and Hoping
Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 10
Hi Patricia (and Anthony), I've been mulling over your request to report the next two upcoming Tasks, and would like to understand how you'd like to see it, and (by extension), would use it. For example, is it a custom tab you'd want on a Project that groups by Assignee showing "what's up next" for each person, or is it a standalone dashboard with a Prompt for Assignee, Project, and/or Task so you could interactively choose the scope of interest (e.g. across all Projects, for Tasks that include "design" in the name, what are the next two Tasks for Billy, Sally, and Jerome)? Would it be possible for you (both) to elaborate further? Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 4
Hi Doug, What I am looking for is a stand-alone report for a team. This report will show what is planned to start or complete today and the next 2 tasks in the queue, so they have a heads up of what is coming up. Thanks! PATRICIA MORENO | WORKFLOW SYSTEMS MANAGER/PRINT PRODUCTION SERVICES T 973 917 6745 | M 973 865 8530 | patricia.moreno@mccann.com 49 Bloomfield Ave, Mountain Lakes, NJ 07046 "https://www.webcargo.net/request/index/id/7299708/dp/0yrcdXl0dzPIyXDQZS"> Click here to send me files via WEBCARGO.net This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this message for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disseminate or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message. Thank you very much.

Level 4
This code goes through the tasks and looks for ones that aren't complete and can start and aren't parents. In tasks with strict predecessors it would show 1 task, in projects with parallel paths, multiple tasks could be shone. The list delimiter often gets eaten by html and is & z w j ; with no spaces. The & and ; are both needed. Current Task - Show which task is currently being worked in the project displayname=Current Task listdelimiter=‍ listmethod=nested(tasks).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=IF({numberOfChildren}=0,IF({canStart},IF(CONTAINS("CPL",{status}),"",CONCAT({name}," ")))) valueformat=HTML -- Melinda Layten, Senior Consultant Work Management Improvement CapabilitySource Phone: "tel:(484)%20505-6855" value="+18014720979" (484) 505-6855 site: "http://www.capabilitysource.com/" www.capabilitysource.com email: "mailto:melinda.layten@capabilitysource.com" melinda.layten@capabilitysource.com - we simplify your work so you can run your business -

Level 10
Thank for elaborating, Patricia. As Martin suggested above, filtering for (no-Children) Issues Planned to Start and End between a certain date is relatively straightforward; you could do similarly and add the Team and or Queue to the criteria to focus it even further. The tricky bit, as Anthony lamented, is "the next two". There is no "Top" (as in "top two") feature within Workfront's reporting dialect, nor is there a way to restrict the number of rows to anything less than 15 (although via the API, it might be possible to "poke" a lower bound into the report definition). Given that, the closest approximation most folks adopt is some type of time-based restriction. So, in your case, if you typically get 8 requests per day (so, 1 per hour on average), you might consider OR'ing a section looking ahead to the first 2 hours of the next day. Some days you might get none, other days one or more, but at least you don't get "everything". Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 4
This one just came handy! thank you for sharing. Patricia Moreno McCann Health

Level 4
I added the Planned Completion Date to your code ☺ displayname=Next Step listdelimiter=‍ listmethod=nested(tasks).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=IF({numberOfChildren}=0,IF({canStart},IF(CONTAINS("CPL",{status}),"",CONCAT({name}," ",{plannedCompletionDate})))) valueformat=HTML