Expand my Community achievements bar.

List Improvements

Level 2
Hi, my name is Alex Barker I am a UX Designer here at Workfront. We are looking into making changes to lists in the future and we want to hear from you. If you're passionate about lists please help by answering the question below. If you had a magic wand and could change anything about Lists, what would you change? Why? Thank you! Alex Barker Workfront
13 Replies

Level 10
I would dock the page navigator to the top and bottom of a list (1) and to the far left boundary of the web browser (2). [Or far right, would be my next preference.] 1) Sometimes ***I already know what I need when I go to a list*** and I don't need to scroll to the bottom of said list. I would rather at that point, just indicate that "I want all the rows", or "I want to immediately go to page 5". Without scrolling to the bottom of the list. 2) For some reason lately, I've had to do more scrolling that usual (not sure why, maybe it's related to the New Experience? Or maybe there's a bug?). For wide lists, I sometimes have to scroll way way to the right in order to find the little thing that says which page I'm on, or how many lines I'm looking at per page. -skye

Level 2
This may not be in scope here - but I've found when reporting on Lists/Collections, if I use the "IF" statement to try and just pull out information from a subset in a Collection, I get odd PDF export behavior. As an example, I have a custom form on tasks, applying a specific flag. I want a report to show me the start date of all tasks with that flag in a portfolio So, I text mode in an If statement with listdelimiters to report a list of those dates. On the report in WF in a browser, it displays fine. Listdelimiter lets me display it, and the output is as expected. But when I export to PDF, it can make that column incredibly long - and my best guess is it is "printing" a 'Blank line' for every task it finds without the Custom Field flag I also tried to use the zero-width joiner, but then I have dates running together (7/20/197/21/197/22/19, etc). Mark Lopez Centene Corporation

Level 10
When using a Collection in a List/Report, ability to sort the items that appear in the COllection (e.g., Planned Completion Date). Katherine Haven, PMP VP, Director, Business Technologies - PMO FCB

Level 10
Adding onto the above mentioned ones... The biggest for me would be the ability to apply a sorting to the grouping. I work with SharePoint as well and for their lists, I can sort by list items, but then also by grouping so that certain groups are always on top (if they have something). In Report Settings, you have the ability to pick the number of items in a dashboard, but would love to have that for just the report itself. (And it should include a "Show All" option) Would love the ability to still use Summary and Charts if I have a custom grouping (i.e. one that was created via text mode) For lists with the new look and feel, I fill like the column widths adjust weirdly. I'm adjusting why more often than I ever had to when using a list with the older look and feel. Adding multiple rules to Conditional Formatting. (i.e. the task is late and the Can Start is True, it is red) Make it easier for people who don't know text mode, to remove or customize the grouping name. (Example, if you group by Group on a project report, it says "Group: Name: FCB New York". Would love an advance option like you do on columns so they can change it to "Agency: FCB New York" or just remove a label and have it just say "FCB New York" Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 10
if we're going to mention reports as well, I'd like to be able to constrain the groupings in a chart (i.e. show the top X groupings only in a chart). e.g. if we collect 10 different reasons a project is late, and I want to see the 5 most likely reasons. -skye

Level 1
I completely agree with the request to please put the page navigator at the top. Many times I need to be sure I am working with All records before proceeding, and having to page down to see how many records I got back out of how many total is not efficient. And being able to jump forward if I just need to page, without the scrolling would be really helpful. Thanks! Kim Sweet Polaris Industries Inc.

Level 1
Hi Alex, I'd either like the navigator to be at the top of the list, w ithout scrolling to the bottom of the list, to get to it. Or perhaps it could load all the items in the list as default, but you could set a limiter as a system preference (e.g. load the first 100 items in a list)? That way different customers could customise it to their needs. The amount of times I have to scroll down and select "All" and refresh, is a fair few times on a daily basis. Hope that's useful. Katrina Katrina Dann RR Donnelley UK PMO

Level 7
I'd like list lengths in the UI to be intelligent length.s For instance, when converting to a project if theres 2 templates available or 20 the menu stays the same size. It would be great if the UI list would grow or shrink to show all, also the names are shortened to the point where its hard to tell individual names apart if you have longer similarly named templates Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation

Level 10
Triple upvote Katherine's comment on being able to sort a field from a Collection in a list!

Level 5
We want our list lengths to be able to be set and locked. Only seeing the first 50 items on dashboard reports is not helpful if there are actually 231+ items, my users do not remember to always go to the "view all" selection. We are constantly wondering WTF happened to our projects until someone remembers to "View All". Workfront has fixed the list of projects so that when viewing all it remembers that, please do this for the list of people. "Show All" should be sticky for all lists. Aileen Taylor Cell Signaling Technology

Level 10
Hi @Alex Barker - there are some great suggestions already (especially moving the page navigator to the top of the lists)....however a BIG PICTURE idea which has been discussed many times is the ability to copy data from (e.g. Excel) and paste it into a Workfront List. For example, say you've had a meeting and come up with a list of tasks in Excel (because it's faster than entering them directly into Workfront), or someone else who doesn't use Workfront (perhaps a customer) has sent you a list of tasks in Excel. Currently you have to copy/paste (or re-type) them in one-by-one. If dealing with hundreds of tasks you could use the Kickstart but it's pretty complex and not suitable for regular users. Ideally you'd want to be able to at least copy a single column of data from excel (e.g. task names) and paste this into Workfront to be the new task names. I realise that copy/pasting multiple columns at the same time could be more complex....especially if some of those columns are dates/currencies but perhaps you could come up with a solution or some limitations to follow for this. David Cornwell

Level 10
Yes I'll second David's idea. And I'd like that simple copy and paste ability. Or stealing more functionality from Excel, allow us to drag the value of a cell (or multiple cells) down copying them all. I won't be so bold as to request the predictive patterns too ��