Expand my Community achievements bar.

Linking 2 issues in Workfront

Level 4

I'd like to link 2 requests together in Workfront. Currently a sales opportunity may lead to a new product development request (issue), which in turn will lead to a Prod Development project. Currently the sales opportunities are managed outside Workfront and the Prod Dev request is handled inside Worfkfront (via a request).

I'd like the sales opportunity to start in Workfront which may give rise to a further request (for a product development) which will turn into a project space.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 10

Hi Richard, I would use the issue only for the sales opportunity piece. Once the lead has been negotiated and it's confirmed that a product development project is needed, you should turn the request into a product development project. I don't see a need for two issues in this process. The sooner you create a project, the better you'll be at managing it.

Level 4

Hi Thanks for your response, appreciate what you're saying but was hoping to manage the sales side of the opportunity alongside the Prod Dev request which is converted into a project. The prod dev project is a distinct piece of work being managed by Prod Dev (at the request of sales), with the sales opportunity itself still being managed alongside. The expectation being the Prod Dev work will deliver an outcome which will feedback into the sales opportunity.

Level 10

Hi Richard,

To directly model what you're after, I suggest you consider procedurally pasting the URL of the Dev Issue into the URL field on the New Product Development Request Issue, thereby connecting the former to the latter in a way that is "clickable" (e.g. you can then jump from the NPDR's url to the Dev Issue). Similarly, you could connect the opposite direction in the same manner (assuming the relationships are 1:1). If those concepts work well (and it's warranted), you could also automate one or both later using our UberCalc solution.

Alternatively, if you'd prefer to save the URL for some other purpose, you could instead create your own custom parameter -- or someday, use a Typeahead Field, once Issues are added as an option -- but for now, URL strikes me as the easiest and more useful approach (since it is designed to be clicked).

Regards,

Doug