Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Is there a way to differentiate resource time allocated to "PMO-led projects" versus time spent on someone's internal department projects/work?

Level 5

Hello! We are expanding WF to other departments in our org, and we want to continue to see each employee's allocation to PMO projects, separate from the work they do for their internal department work management in WF. For example - Someone could have 33% of their weekly time allocated to PMO projects, and right now in the tool we just have that as their FTE so we can see when someone is being over-utilized for PMO projects and where we might need to move some work around. By adding in a department's internal work/projects, we still want to see where that person stands with respect to their 33% of work time dedicated to PMO projects, but the resource managers in the department would want to see the full view of the person's availability - PMO and non-PMO work. Is this possible to do in the tool? Thanks in advance for your insights.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

7 Replies

Employee

Hey there Olivia,

I hope you're doing well. The short answer to this question is that yes, there are different ways you could accomplish this. One way, just as a starting point to get you thinking, is that you could potentially create a PMO portfolio and put all PMO related work in that portfolio, and then create other portfolios for non-PMO work. Then your resource managers could use those portfolios to delineate the different allocations of time in reporting.

Have you thought about maybe using some consulting to deep-dive into your use case and find out which way would accomplish exactly what you're trying to do? Your account team could help you get that set up if that sounds interesting to you at all.

Have a wonderful week and Thanksgiving!

Kyna

Level 5

Thanks Kyna! How would I go about allocating hours to specific portfolios for users? We have portfolios for PMO, and for example, Supply Chain.

I tried adding different job roles in the sandbox and allocating percentages, but that doesn't get me the result I'm looking for. (ie, a job role for "SCO - Procurement" function at 75%, and a role for "PMO - SCO Procurement" at 25% - when I go to the Resource Planner and Workload Balancer, I still see a full 8 hour availability for the day when I am filtered on either job role, whereas I would expect I would see that SCO - Procurement should show 6 hours, and PMO - SCO Procurement should show 2 hours.) Many thanks!

Employee

Hey Olivia,

So I don't think that the Workload Balancer will get you exactly what you need. I was thinking that you could see this with a Dashboard pulling together a few different reports because of the different objects that all need to pull together.

If you did a Dashboard with at least 2 reports, you could start to see some of this information.

Project Report - to see what the different projects they are working on

Hours Report - to see what time they plan or log in order to break it down by user (you can't easily break down a project or task report by user).

If this isn't going to help, I unfortunately am going to have to tap out and you get some consulting hours to dive a little deeper on this.

So sorry I can't just solve it for you!

Kyna

@Chris Knittle‚ this one might be an interesting one for you to think about!

Level 6

Funnily enough, I've just created a report for one of our Portfolio Managers to show actual hours worked by everyone in his department, on projects outside his Portfolio. I created an Hours report and, in the Filters, referenced the Project>>Portfolio ID and a custom field we created called IS Department against the User object. The actual hours display in a Matrix view, using the Row Groupings Home Team>>Name and Column Groupings Hour>>Entry Date by Month. Because there is way too much data, I have added a prompt so he can select a period.

Employee

Oh that's an interesting approach too, thank you for sharing @Jane Bradshaw‚ . @Olivia Miasik‚ will this help you do what you are trying to do? Maybe Jane can give you more details if you need them?

Level 5

Thanks Jane and Kyna! That is a good idea, we will give this route a try to present a solution for our resource managers. Nice out of the box idea :) Thanks for sharing (and apologies for my late response back!!!)

Level 10

Hi Olivia,

I invite you to consider our Heatmap solution, and to see it in action, jump to the 5:11 minute mark of this video (which shows it in plugin mode as part of our Resource Contouring solution). Similar to the example, the 33% of user's capacity assigned to PMO projects would break out as a separate section in the chart, with the detailed Tasks then enumerated below.

Regards,

Doug