Expand my Community achievements bar.

Is it possible to get all project notes into a task report?

Level 7

So... I can pull the Last Note easy enough, but what I really want is the last project note by a specific person. Something like;

IF({project}.{noteText}.{owner}.{name}="USER A", {project}.{noteText}, " ") Is this even possible?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

9 Replies

Level 10

Hi - you have a few issues.

1 - Last Note is the last note. If you want all notes but only show those of a specific users, that is a collection (with an IF statement) and I'm not sure if you can do a collection of a reference (reference the project but then want a collection of notes from that project). I'll leave that for someone smarter than me to figure out. LOL!

2 - If you do want the last note, but only if it is from a specific user... I noticed there is no "noteText" on a project. I think you meant "lastNote" as that is something you can reference on a project object type. (API explorer is great to determine relationships between objects).

This worked for me

displayname=Last Project Note If By Anthony

textmode=true

valueexpression=IF({project}.{lastNote}.{ownerID}="532376910024d8443277c3e46ed5330a",{project}.{lastNote}.{noteText},"")

valueformat=string

Level 10

Sorry, forgot to mention why I went with ID instead of name... ownerID is already on the Last Note object so I didn't have to "hop" to a new object. If you went by name, you'd have to "hop" and then you have hopped 'too far' and the system can't do that.

Level 7

Yeps. That is as far as I got as well. You see the issue here though. If this person isn't the last one to leave a note, then her note is lost, or at least not seen on this dashboard. I could maybe do the task last note and just have her make sure to leave her comments there instead of at the project level. Hmmm.... At any rate, I appreciate the response. Once you start jumping around too much in the API, things can get a little fuzzy. Thanks!

Level 10

Are you all on the NWE yet? In NWE, there is a task summary icon in the upper right hand corner. It makes it so easy for project managers to click around on different tasks in the project and do status updates in the task itself. My team has really liked it (since task updates are what show up in Home and the mobile app.)

Something to think about.

Level 7

Although this is a handoff between two project team members and not the PM to a team member, I think that will still be the solution. I literally just showed this user that function this week, so she probably hasn't explored it yet. I will make that suggestion. Thanks again!

Level 3

Anthony

I am on the NWE, where is the task summary icon. I don't see it on any of my projects.

Community Advisor

If you're going to be in the project anyway, is it feasible to just do a notes report, put it on a dashboard and publish that to a custom tab in the project? If you prefaced it with a prompt on owner ID it would probably get a lot of traction with other users looking for "notes by that coworker". Narayan had a nicely formatted report that captures all of the info like which object, when, etc. The nice thing is you can sort it out by date order too. Just thought I'd mentioned it in case you're not too married to the fact that it has to be on a task.

Level 7

Thanks Skye! The second user in this scenario does not want to open the project at all, so I am trying (and failing) to give her a dashboard view with all relevant information on one line.

Basically, I am looking to show the second user the "ready to start" task and the notes associated with it in one place. I think Anthony's suggestion will accomplish this nicely. üòä It's really quite simple. lol. Sometimes my brain gets away from me... 😋