Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

Implementing Workfront into a culture that did not have a PMO

Level 1
Greetings My Workfront Family, My organization is new to Project Management structure, we signed onto Workfront in January 2019 and currently going through the implementation process. Prior to me joining they did not have an official Project Management department, things got done but lacked the structure that PM brings; things were done via email/hallway conversations/excel spreadsheets for tracking/etc.. My questions for the Workfront Community, specifically for those organizations that did not have a structured PMO and/or software in place to manage projects: How did you introduce Workfront to your company's culture? What tactical things did you do? What challenges did you face along the way? What would you do differently in terms of how you introduced Workfront, if you had the change to do it over again? Anything else you want to share? Any and all input is appreciated, I know Workfront has some standard guidance around this topic but I having guidance/input from the community would be invaluable. Fawn Martin AVP Project Management American Heritage Credit Union
8 Replies

Level 2
Greetings Fawn and welcome to the Community! Most of the implementations that I have done were in non-structured departments and organizations where PMOs were not present or not involved. This can be a major blessing (no one to force a process that doesn't fit as often happens) and challenging at the same time (no one understands what a gantt chart is, or what predecessors are). To answer your questions: 1) The best place to start Workfront is with a Pilot group consisting with a wide range of select users. You don't want only super users and managers as the most benefit will come from adoption by the everyday users (aka Workers). If you have no documented workflow you will want to have a few sessions with that Pilot group (or broader) to understand and establish what types of work you want to track in Workfront and how those work types function. I normally do this only with a whiteboard and index cards because I don't want people to become distracted with the tool (Workfront) but focus on determining how things flow and what needs to be tracked. These workflows will help determine your templates. With a non-PMO group it is critical to establish consistent workflow where none was before. Once the PIlot group has buy-in to the workflows you can simply translate those into the tool and then start utilizing it with the Pilot group. If anything doesn't work, change it. The Pilot group will be your advocates for Workfront for the rest of the implementation...if you don't have their buy-in then it will be a very uphill battle. 2) Time Tracking, Time Tracking, Time Tracking. Usually an unstructured group doesn't track time aside from their 8 hrs a day. Getting folks to track time and make updates on a daily/frequent basis is by far the most challenging task for any new software implementation and Workfront is no different. You don't want to overburden resources with micro-managing and super-small tasks which would make time-tracking an overhead nightmare, but you need relevant activities that should be tracked. By the way, this evolves over time, so don't get stuck on how small or how big they are tracking to, they just need to track time (unless of course you're opting for Agile). 3) Since I do this pretty frequently for organizations I tweak my introduction of Workfront to the audience. If I have a highly collaborative group (like Marketing) then I'll point out the communication capabilities near the beginning because those are key. If I have a more data-centric group (like IT) then I'll show the custom forms, custom data, reporting, and API capabilities near the beginning because they will want to see that capability. For PMOs I usually lead with the Intake and structure (Portfolios, Programs, Projects) as well as the approval processes since many times those are key components of PMOs. 4) Start simple and go from there as the tool speaks for itself. If you come from a highly organized PMO understand that the worst thing you can do is try to implement everything on day 1. To start - just try to give them a like-for-like experience but don't try to introduce too many PMO concepts as it will normally overwhelm them. Start by tracking the everyday things and make sure that is working very well. Then make sure you have a solid intake process within Workfront (ie Request Queue). After that, if any formal sign-offs are needed work that into the tool. Before long you'll have a pretty good picture of what needs to be addressed next as you will see issues in the workflow. With my implementations I encourage a 3, 6, and 1 year roadmap to be established. This helps give direction to the folks that own the tool as well as provides a maturing process for their group. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out. John Albaugh

Level 7
This is super solid and thorough advice Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation

Level 1
Hi John, Thank you for your very detailed response, I appreciate it. I will start to work on the 3, 6, and 1 year roadmap which will include piloting Workfront. We have representatives from various departments involved in the Workfront design & implementation process; I will leverage that group to build the roadmap and identify a project to pilot this with. I agree that time tracking will be my most challenging function to implement, I hope is to use my champions to help drive this. I have a modest goal of 5% of the projects tracked in Workfront will have time associated to every task for that project; this is the goal to reach by end of 2019. Thank you again for your help and I will certainly follow-up with any additional questions. Have a Fantastic Day/Week on Purpose!! Fawn Martin AVP Project Management American Heritage Credit Union

Level 10
Hi We also don't have Project Managers, per se, but Marketing Managers who manage projects, so their roles aren't typical of a PM like in a big company or ad agency, and they don't necessarily think like a typical PM, which was a big hurdle, just to get them to embrace the switchover from a Word document with deadlines they wrote down from a calendar on the wall, to Workfront. One thing that was helpful to jumpstart our leap into project management software (so late to the game! We did this last year only!) was we had several meetings that included the entire team where we mapped out the "ideal" steps to complete different types of projects (direct mail, email, landing page), very detailed, on post it notes on the wall, and then transcribed that into a list , debated it some more, and everyone signed on. Then, I sat with each team that owned a step/task and had them agree to how long they wanted to do that task, and how many hours of actual work would it take. This enabled me to make templates to launch with – which was slow, we launched with a few projects that we could track and monitor and make sure we understood what we were doing. Since our projects take so long, this was a slow long road. After that, we got together again and cut out about half the tasks because there were way too many and it was annoying to everyone to keep up with. We basically have milestone tasks, and a list of the types of tasks people typically forget to do during a project, so they have a checklist of reminders (update the website, notify xx that this is launching etc) Then, a couple months after that I made iterations of the templates into more realistic timelines. For example, when I added up the "ideal" number of days, a direct mail piece would take us 6 months. What we found was that every task was late every single time and it wasn't going to happen. In the real world we do them in 3 months (ha ha really 2 months but we have a goal of 3-4 months) but with the framework in place we were able to have better insight into where we could cut out days. Since we don't log hours, and there is a very big resistance to doing this ("we are NOT factory workers"), and some people still don't mark their tasks complete with any accuracy, we still haven't been able to prove with charts and graphs where the delays are happening (we know where the delays are happening, we just can't prove them with charts and graphs). All that said, the part everyone embraced very quickly was Proof. Now, if we were to get rid of it, there would be a riot, and when partners email us PDFs to proof everyone sees the difference in time saving and collaboration.

Level 3
Hi Fawn: We introduced Workfront about 7 years ago into our Marketing teams (when it was then known as AtTask). It was an interesting challenge and we certainly made our share of mistakes along the way. Like you, ATB is a financial institution and corporately they think differently than other companies. So we have a fair amount in common. Our introduction was fairly soft - after our config was done, the Traffic team tested and played in WF for a few weeks and then we introduced it to some key influencers in the User group and the Production team. By allowing them to play around and work with them one-on-one, we learned more about the product and we developed some internal cheerleaders for our launch. The launch was extended and a bit rocky as uptake and adoption by both sides (Client and Creative) was not great. There was hesitancy from senior management on both sides to use it and to enforce its use by their teams. We limped along for about 2 years until everyone realized that WF was to their advantage so they used it. But it was a struggle. Currently WF is fully adopted and enthusiastically used by everyone so the effort was worth it. And we add new groups of users all the time. Here's what I would do differently: ensure the EVP was on board with the features and benefits of the software so that she could enforce its adoption. Once we had another individual in that role who recognized the value of the product and communicated it downwards, it was amazing how well it was assimilated. Magic! ensure all users had better training and support prior to rollout. In early days, WF did not have a vast library of help materials to assist us so we had to dash around around ourselves and do it. Obviously we were not great at it. spend a LOT of time with all potential user groups to find out their specific needs. Our planning time was spent figuring out what the Creative teams needed to work better, and not enough time with the other user groups. Having some powerful reports that will show them what is happening in their projects is a great incentive to use the product. Enforce that if it isn't in WF, it will not get done, right from the start. Happy to answer any other questions! regards; PS: our existing PMO at ATB (IT focused) tried their own install of WF but it failed, not sure why. Bill Gattinger ATB Financial

Level 9
LOTS of great advice here, for sure. Here's my two cents: We're only about 2 years in to our implementation and have taken a Crawl-->Walk-->Run plan of action- get the basics down and introduce new/updated processes and tools as we go Customize your "sales pitch" to your audience, address their pain points as you get them trained and on-boarded If you have some kind of "gate keeper" in your org that is a *stickler* for process, someone that can be a bit of a pain, find a way to get them on board from the get-go and use them as a weapon against people trying to circumvent the system during launch If there's one thing I would have done differently, it would have been to have tighter controls over who has admin access/who can make groups, custom forms and the like. We had too many people with too much freedom to make stuff that suited their particular needs but now makes reporting on projects across the entire organization a bit of a mess. Get a governance committee started early to help ensure you don't make a mess you'll need to cleanup later. Anthony Pernice Healthcare Consultancy Group

Level 1
Greetings Bill, Thank you for your insight, I appreciate it. I am working on the implementation plan; your insight and lessons learned will be included as we shape the plan. Regards, Fawn Martin AVP Project Management American Heritage Credit Union

Level 1
Greetings Jill, Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it. I am working on the implementation plan, I don't plan to implement logging hours against task until at least 12 months in as I know this will be an additional challenge on top of just introducing / enforcing Workfront. Regards, Fawn Martin AVP Project Management American Heritage Credit Union