Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

How to use CPI on baseline and planned projects

Level 2

I am trying to understand how Workfront can assist us in identifying projects that are in need of resources in the short term, without having the PM raise their hand. One way I was considering was monitoring the CPI on all projects. Currently CPI can compare actual hours v. planned, and can indicate if projects are indeed taking up more time than expected. However, our PMs tend to add planned hours or work as they get more information on tasks. Since this is part of our resource planning, I don't want to restrict they way they use planned hours and work.

Questions or options:

1. I considered looking at CPI of an approved baseline of the project. My question is does the CPI of the baseline compare the current project to the baseline, or is the CPI of the baseline just what it was at the time the baseline was created?
  2. If we look at the CPI of the active project, how do you use it to monitor projects if the PMs can adjust the planned hours and planned dates?

Thanks!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

0 Replies