Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!
SOLVED

How to update user email address?

Level 3

When trying to do a (seemingly) simple user edit - change in referenced email address, we are finding we have no access to change that field in the user setup. We have ability to specify email address when adding a new user, but not able to actually change it when setup.

was reviewing another string from 2020 where it seemed users could change their own linked email.  did the pendulum swing back to the other extreme?

I suspect we are missing something, so thought i would ask the experience league.

How can i change the email reference for an existing user?

(our work-around is to deactivate user, then create a new user with changed email)
thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

This is exactly how it needed to be done.

Something like:

Deactivate john@oldemailaddress.com

Update email address to john@oldemailaddress1.com

Save.

Create new temporary user with john@newemailaddress.com.

Save.

Deactivate new user.

Update email address of the new user to the old email (john@oldemailaddress.com)

Go back to original user. 

Update original user with new email address (john@newemailaddress.com).

Save

Delete temporary user.

Basically, you can't have two users with the same email address. Likely an easier way to do this but that's what I recall.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Can I ask if you were recently migrated to the Adobe admin console? If so, you might find that posts from 2020 are outdated for you, and that you no longer have the ability to change usernames and email addresses.

Correct answer by
Level 3

This is exactly how it needed to be done.

Something like:

Deactivate john@oldemailaddress.com

Update email address to john@oldemailaddress1.com

Save.

Create new temporary user with john@newemailaddress.com.

Save.

Deactivate new user.

Update email address of the new user to the old email (john@oldemailaddress.com)

Go back to original user. 

Update original user with new email address (john@newemailaddress.com).

Save

Delete temporary user.

Basically, you can't have two users with the same email address. Likely an easier way to do this but that's what I recall.

Level 1

This was enlightening! however, all I did was deactivate the user, then I could modify the email address and it populated a new one in Adobe Console! Thanks! This got me there!!