Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!
SOLVED

External Reference ID field

Level 6

I'm picking up work on a Fusion scenario that was started last year by a colleague in conjunction with a WF consultant (it was the last of our consulting hours, and work on it had not continued).  The scenario involves an integration between WF and Airtable, and I see that a unique identifier from Airtable was going to be entered into the WF External Reference ID project field.

I see that the External Reference ID field is editable--I can edit the value from a project report--but I don't see the field in the project UI anywhere.  I don't see it in the project Overview or in the project Edit menu.  Am I missing its location, or is the field (and its values) only discoverable through reports or Fusion?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Sorry I read your message that the field was called "WF External Reference ID" and that appeared custom didn't realize it was without the WF.

From what I've read about the field learning integrations, it's a backend storage field accessible only through the API and isn't visible inside of Workfront. 

extRefID External Reference ID String User Editable Field intended to be used a link to an external object

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi Kristen - the field likely lives on a custom form that would be attached to objects you are creating with the integration. You can find out what form it lives on by looking in the setup backend and creating a view that shows the Forms parameter on fields.

KellieGardner_0-1720545625630.png

KellieGardner_1-1720545660119.png

Level 6

That was my first thought, too.  But when I didn't see it listed among the custom fields, I found it in the API Explorer.  Apparently it's a native field; I just don't see it in the UI anywhere.

KristenS_WF_0-1720546889698.png

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Sorry I read your message that the field was called "WF External Reference ID" and that appeared custom didn't realize it was without the WF.

From what I've read about the field learning integrations, it's a backend storage field accessible only through the API and isn't visible inside of Workfront. 

extRefID External Reference ID String User Editable Field intended to be used a link to an external object