Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

How to make a report with multiple rows that is filled in by the users and is unlimited?

Level 10

I am in an urgent crisis trying to solve this problem. I have 50 Word documents that need to be shared as ONEDRIVE files so that multiple people can edit the Word files. I want to make a tab in the project that will link to a report that can list all the files each in a row, and where the user can paste the share link to each of the 50 files.

I know how to make a Task report that will do that, but then only one row appears on each project. How do I make a report with 50 blank rows for users to enter their document links? Is this even possible?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

10 Replies

Level 8

Would a project with 50 tasks work? Then you can create a task report and filter on that project.

Level 10
That is an interesting idea thank you! I did subsequently discover that about a week ago WF introduced a OneDrive integration! If my IT department is able to figure it out, that is the answer to all my dreams and more. Here’s hoping!

Level 10

Question: Are they all editing the same files or are the files like forms they are supposed to fill out with their project's info and Save As? Because the OneDrive integration just links back to the same document and doesn't do a Save As. Just wanted you to know if that is what you need.

If you need them to be separate files filled out for that project, you can also create a template with the 50 documents in it (no tasks or anything), and then they can attach that to their project to get those documents and then edit them for their individual project.

Level 10
Hi It’s 50 separate Word documents that they save on their OneDrive and then each will need editing by a copywriter. They don’t need Save As, just original documents that they will save on their personal OneDrives and hopefully Add Document to a folder and voila, I hope. I’m not understanding what you mean by making a template with the documents in it?

Level 10

You can, with templates, have other things besides tasks. Like we have one template called "Forms for Your Project" that configures the Queue Setup for the project so it is a mini request queue. And then we have one for "Folder Structure". The template has no tasks in it, but in the documents tab, we created the folder structure the agency wants to use. This way, if there is a change, I just update the one template instead of the 2,300 templates I have in the system LOL!

The process: The PM converts the issue to a project using the tactical template (i.e. Email, Website, Print, etc.) and then when they are done, they go back up to the three dots and click Attach Template. Then they select "Folder Structure". This then puts the folders in their project.

You can also put documents in the template as well. For example, my Deployment template has files that need for every deployment that I do with an agency.

0690z000009DKK2AAO.png

Level 10
Hmm wow this is something very new but I will surely try this out. Thanks for the information, lots to consider here with templates that I have not even thought about!

Level 3

Jill, here's an idea, if I understand what you need. This is a little rough, but might meet your urgent need.

You could create an issue report. Maybe call it "Shared Links", and only put two columns in the view: a name column and a URL column. Change the header title on the URL column to "Shared Links".

Put a filter in there to exclude any issues you might already have in your project. If you're not using issues on these projects you can leave the filter blank.

Save the report and then add it to a new dashboard you name "Shared Links", then add this to your project as a custom section (in New Workfront Experience) or a custom tab (in Classic). You can create 50 issues in the project. Maybe name the each something like "Put document name here". Your report will show all 50 issues as separate rows which you can inline edit to supply the document name and the shared link url.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if I need to explain it better.

Level 10
Oh that is an interesting solution. We don’t use Issues in projects and I’ve even taken that tab off everyone’s view because my users find it confusing. I can play with this for sure. Thanks!

Level 10

Hi @Chuck Middleton‚

Is is possible to explain your solution in the above detail?

Mvh

Kundan

Level 3

Yes, certainly. Do you have any specific questions about it? Which parts would you like me to explain?