Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to get public holidays on calendars?

Level 10

Does anybody have a clever way to have holidays show up on calendars? I know I can build a project with a task for each holiday and put it on every calendar I create (I think that's how I will do it but I haven't tried it yet). Wondering if anybody has come up with a more innovative way to do this?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Community Advisor

I was thinking about this the other day as well, and wondering if maybe I need to have a user called Public Holiday with their PTO set as being the public holidays.

Level 10
Here’s what I did. I created a project with no end date and manual everything. I made a new Schedule called 365/7 that includes weekends and no holidays to use for this project. I had to keep 9-5 schedule every day because when I made it 24 hours the recalculation didn’t work on some tasks with more than 0 days. Then I created each holiday as a Must Start or Must Finish task for the date or range (ie Chanukah is 8 days ) with no assignments and no predecessors and zero hours. Then I and added the project to each calendar using Planned completion dates and show date ranges. The frustrating thing I found was that the recalculation sometimes did not work correctly. Because there’s no predecessors some holidays with a date range refused to calculate, ie 3 days from start to planned completion would calculate 2 days, even when I changed the number of days to 10. Eventually by changing the start time, or changing from Must Start to Must Finish it eventually calculated correctly but on some tasks I spent 5 minutes messing around with what should have been simple. This is an issue I’ve seen in my normal projects, most especially when a task calculates over a scheduled holiday, but since this 365/7 schedule has no holidays it shouldn’t be happening, yet it was. I don’t have time right now to start this up again with support as it’s not been solvable in the past because it’s inconsistent when I’ve tried to tackle it. One day I will push harder on it.

Community Advisor

We create a project with each holiday on it.

But I was just on a call on Monday with Workfront about how we use reporting calendars today, out-of-the-box, workarounds, etc. They had posted about it in the community a week or so ago.

One of my wish-list items I gave them is the ability to add our Schedule Exceptions to calendars - and to also be able to distinguish different types of schedule exceptions - such as Holidays vs. Black-out Days

I'd like to pull Holidays into both time-off calendars as well as reporting calendars. But the black-out days we use strictly for capacity planning and wouldn't want those to show on time-off calendars and probably not on most reporting calendars either.