Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

How to get public holidays on calendars?

Level 10

Does anybody have a clever way to have holidays show up on calendars? I know I can build a project with a task for each holiday and put it on every calendar I create (I think that's how I will do it but I haven't tried it yet). Wondering if anybody has come up with a more innovative way to do this?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Community Advisor

I was thinking about this the other day as well, and wondering if maybe I need to have a user called Public Holiday with their PTO set as being the public holidays.

Level 10
Here’s what I did. I created a project with no end date and manual everything. I made a new Schedule called 365/7 that includes weekends and no holidays to use for this project. I had to keep 9-5 schedule every day because when I made it 24 hours the recalculation didn’t work on some tasks with more than 0 days. Then I created each holiday as a Must Start or Must Finish task for the date or range (ie Chanukah is 8 days ) with no assignments and no predecessors and zero hours. Then I and added the project to each calendar using Planned completion dates and show date ranges. The frustrating thing I found was that the recalculation sometimes did not work correctly. Because there’s no predecessors some holidays with a date range refused to calculate, ie 3 days from start to planned completion would calculate 2 days, even when I changed the number of days to 10. Eventually by changing the start time, or changing from Must Start to Must Finish it eventually calculated correctly but on some tasks I spent 5 minutes messing around with what should have been simple. This is an issue I’ve seen in my normal projects, most especially when a task calculates over a scheduled holiday, but since this 365/7 schedule has no holidays it shouldn’t be happening, yet it was. I don’t have time right now to start this up again with support as it’s not been solvable in the past because it’s inconsistent when I’ve tried to tackle it. One day I will push harder on it.

Community Advisor

We create a project with each holiday on it.

But I was just on a call on Monday with Workfront about how we use reporting calendars today, out-of-the-box, workarounds, etc. They had posted about it in the community a week or so ago.

One of my wish-list items I gave them is the ability to add our Schedule Exceptions to calendars - and to also be able to distinguish different types of schedule exceptions - such as Holidays vs. Black-out Days

I'd like to pull Holidays into both time-off calendars as well as reporting calendars. But the black-out days we use strictly for capacity planning and wouldn't want those to show on time-off calendars and probably not on most reporting calendars either.