Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

How to copy a template's task list to a new project

Level 4

Is there a way to copy a task list from a template to a new project without the project showing that the template was used for the project?

I audit for "Projects Created without a Template" and I still want projects like these to show up on this report.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @Justin_Charles,

Provided your new Projects always have a custom form, I suggest you add a new calculated parameter to that (those) form(s) called Created Using Template, save the form, then set the formula to:

IF(ISBLANK({DE:Created Using Template}),IF(ISBLANK({templateID},”No”,”Yes”),{DE:Created Using Template})

Going foreward, upon creation such Template-created Projects will be “Yes”, and otherwise will be “No”.

Historic data might need some additional logic, too (eg “for Projects whose Entry Date is prior to the date you implement this approach, set it to Maybe”).

Fun one: good luck!

Regards,

Doug

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 10

Tasks brought into a project via "sub"-template register the template on the task level, not the project level (edit: when the project already has a template applied). It also depends on how you're filtering for projects created without a template.

I would recommend creating a project with a few tasks without a template, then bring in some tasks by adding a template and see how your filter responds.

Edit: I just tested and adding a template after the project creation does show the project was created from a template (even though it wasn't, as the template was applied after project creation). So adding a template after creation won't work.

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @Justin_Charles,

Provided your new Projects always have a custom form, I suggest you add a new calculated parameter to that (those) form(s) called Created Using Template, save the form, then set the formula to:

IF(ISBLANK({DE:Created Using Template}),IF(ISBLANK({templateID},”No”,”Yes”),{DE:Created Using Template})

Going foreward, upon creation such Template-created Projects will be “Yes”, and otherwise will be “No”.

Historic data might need some additional logic, too (eg “for Projects whose Entry Date is prior to the date you implement this approach, set it to Maybe”).

Fun one: good luck!

Regards,

Doug

Hi @Justin_Charles,

Great tip from @skyehansen; might want to give this a shot (to prevent none-tempated projects in the first place, going forward):  

Doug_Den_Hoed__AtAppStore_0-1680897204038.png

Regards,

Doug

Community Advisor

yep, my exact comment was something along the lines of "STOP auditing for projects with no template and just disallow it in the setup area. If users really need to create a no-task project, we have made a no-task template available for their use."

Employee Advisor

When it comes to compliance, templates are a requirement for audit purposes. If not every Planner in your instance needs access to create a project, look to create a Plan (limited) license where only certain users can create projects to ensure consistency or toggle off the setting "allow projects to be created without a template" in the Setup area under Project Preferences > Project.